3. Before the Big Bang

For Reference

Devereaux (dev-er-oh)
Xenia (zen-ee-uh)
Aurora (uh-ror-uh)

Monday, October 7th, 2024
(Present)

"...Miss Hunt?" Penélope's gentle tone regains my attention, which she'd lost several times already. "Did you catch any of that?"

I draw a blank. "Uh, no. I'm sorry."

"It's alright. Where have you been going?"

"Pardon me?"

"When you zone out," the therapist clarifies. "Where do you go?"

I shrug, answering with a vague, "Everywhere... and nowhere."

"That's deep."

"Right?"

We laugh.

"Tell me this: when you disassociate–"

"Is that what you're calling it? Disassociation?" I ask.

"Yes, miss. That's what it is," Penélope states matter-of-factly. "When you do it, what do you think about?"

"Before."

"Before what?"

"Before it got complicated. Before all of this," I explain. "I think about a simpler time when there were only a few grey spots among the black and white. Back when the line between right and wrong was clear."

"Do you miss it?"

"I don't know, honestly," I admit.

Dr. Rivera refers to her notes before inquiring, "What was it like? Before, I mean."

"It was like nothing I'd experienced. Aurora and Xenia? Like no others I'd ever met."

***

Friday, October 29th, 2021
(1,074 Days Ago...)

"How do I look?"

I wore a dark green, plunge neck, ruched dress with heels and silver jewelry. My hair was neatly parted down the middle and straight, framing my face, and a decent amount of makeup highlighted my features.

Roman steps back to take me in and grins. "Do you really have to ask?"

"Yes," I insist indignantly. "And you can't be biased. Come on, give it to me straight."

"Why? I'm not, and neither are you."

I roll my eyes for the umpteenth time today. "Remind me why I keep you around again?"

"Because you love me," he coos. "Are you ready to go?"

"No?"

"Too bad. We're going." Roman practically has to drag me out of my apartment and into his car. "Listen, don't be nervous, okay? You look great, and it's just orientation."

"It's not just anything!" I exclaim. "I don't think you understand how big this is. I'm a nobody with no fashion experience, coming in as a board member. God, I am so in over my head."