Year 2: 9/18

The dark-haired girl wandered the gardens mindlessly, craving the simplicity of the forest she had called home for the last 21 years. A cool breeze hit her bare arms, making her shiver. Crickets screeched from within the hedges and bullfrogs croaked, creating a symphony of sounds. The peaceful ambiance was a welcome change from the hustle and bustle of the palace. How was she supposed to get used to this? Her place was in the forest, alongside her sister and her aunts. A witch thrived when surrounded by nature.

But everything changed yesterday afternoon when it was revealed that Lily was the lost princess and that she would have to be returned to the royal family immediately. And worst of all, Lily’s betrothed was Chris, Kat’s secret suitor she had been meeting in the woods for weeks. Kat pursed her lips at the thought and ran a hand through her thick curls. She should’ve known it was too good to be true. Witches didn’t often get happy endings.

The sound of footsteps against the cobblestone pathway behind her caused Kat to whirl around, the layered skirts she wasn’t quite used to nearly offsetting her balance. And to believe that the maids had wanted to put her in an even larger, tighter dress. An all too familiar man was approaching, apparently too taken with the rose bushes to notice the dark-haired girl. Panic rose in her chest, and without thinking, she dove behind one of the perfectly trimmed hedges.

Several moments of silence followed. Had he gone inside? Nearly, Kat peeked onto the garden path, but she fought the urge.

“Oh, Lady Katarina! I didn’t see you. Um, what are you doing there?” Prince Chris smiled, his eyebrows pulling together.

“Oh!” Kat gasped, nearly falling over, having not seen him approaching.

The charming prince chuckled and offered her a hand. Stubbornly, Kat stood up on her own and brushed off her skirts, trying to avoid Chris’ eyes. The crickets had quieted down like they were all enraptured with the exchange.

“I was just, um, avoiding…the…maids…Yes! Avoiding the maids,” Kat said, her mind reeling as she searched for an excuse.

“Whatever for?” he laughed, shaking his head in disbelief.

“They want to put me in a deathtrap they call a dress.”

“Well, that is quite the problem. Come, walk with me. We’ll hide from the maids together.”

Kat’s heart skipped a beat, and she paused. Would it be wrong to accept his offer? It would be horribly rude to refuse. After a moment of hesitation, she stood alongside him, and the two walked for over an hour, simply enjoying the others’ company. Chris had never been so content.