Chapter Seven : The Library

The computers flickered into life as they turned them on one by one. The lights were still warming up and they were having trouble finding where the network was powered from. After about half an hour and a lot of switch flicking they managed to get the internet working. Ethan settled in trying to find as much up to date information as possible. Every news site covered different aspects and many an opinion piece littered the sites. There was a lot to sort through, dead links were everywhere, lots of old or just plain fake pages had sprung up overnight and conspiracies ran rampant across the web. Ava went searching the library for admin passwords and USB storage. He heard a popping sound followed by glass being pulled out of the frame to be dropped on the carpet. After a bit she returned with a laptop which she plugged in to the power and left to charge. She hadn't spoken to him at all since he had stabbed the boy outside the library. They had gotten in by breaking a window and standing on a bin, without so much as uttering a word. He stole sideways glances at her trying to gauge what she was thinking but she gave him no clues. He felt so alone, infected, with no companions and a loathing for himself to boot. He wasn't sure what else he could have done, but more to the point he hadn't even thought about it. Without thinking he had dropped the zombie and slain it. The only reason he was thinking about it now was because of her, he snuck another glance her direction but she was busy rummaging through drawers. He went back to foraging for facts, it was taking some time but he was starting to get a handle on good sources. Anything worth a read he sent over to the printer so they would have a hard copy. Ava it seemed had found an admin password and a USB flash and was doing some of her own research. The rumblings of hunger started to affect his concentration, he looked over to Ava again, she looked away avoiding his gaze. The clock on the wall read one twenty two, they had been here in silence for almost three hours. Taking a minute to stretch his legs he looked out the window. The library ran along side the sporting grounds, the windows faced the soccer field. In the distance patrolling the fence were several people. From the way they wandered he assumed they were dead, there was defiantly a lot more about since their encounter with the holy than thou man. Over at the printer was a stack of articles piled in the out tray, picking them up he read the first of them.

ZOMBIE VIRUS REAL! Read the headline on the first one.

Scientists today confirmed they have identified parts of a virus they think may be related to the zombie outbreak. It is unlikely that this will lead to a cure but it may be useful to inoculate people not already infected says the lead author of a study Dr. Philip Munz from Carleton University, Ottawa. He compared the virus to toxoplasmosis where in it effectively hijacks the brain and control systems. The person then dies leaving the body as a host for the new organism. So far survival rates amongst people who have been exposed are extremely low. Some reports are as low as one in ten thousand, others are more optimistic and some say it could be as high as one in a hundred. Dr. Munz explained "Because the nature of the virus is dormant, it passed as a retro virus and therefore part of our DNA. The truth is we don't know how long this has been dormant or how easily it is spread. Because until recently it hasn't shown any symptoms it's entirely possible almost everyone has been exposed." That said some people seem to have developed a natural immunity to the virus. While these people may get some symptoms, their immunity may be enough to stave off any re-infection.

The article went on to talk about the danger for most survivors was not infection but surviving the inherent dangers of the new world. Ethan read it through two more times going over the words carefully, making sure he understood the implications. Ava's hand on his shoulder made him jump and turn, his heart raced and she drew back.

"I just wanted to know if you were hungry yet?" She said meekly "Sorry."

He gave a small laugh, inhaled a deep breath and smiled a large smile.