Episode 25 - Memories

Many centuries ago, even before the Empire existed, The Azarolla family and the House of Wolves were already established. The Azarollas have long defended the North, from the earlier days of the four hundred year continental demonic war up until its conclusion sixty years ago.

The Azarolla family stood its ground and expanded its territory and influence with their bravery and camaraderie as they fought tirelessly and bravely against the Demonic Army.

Even to this day, as the remnants of the broken Demon Clan have scattered into the winds and their presence being nothing more than a legend to the children, The Wolves of Azarolla still bare their fangs ready to pounce.

All this strength and power can be traced back to the first Duchess of Azarolla who bore the Child of Ponoz and entered the Spirit God’s blood into their family.

This latent ability, once awakened through training, allows the user to release extraordinary amounts of spirit energy, much more than your average Spirit Knight.

With this ability, the Children of the Wolf became extremely powerful in battle. The blood they spilled can fill an ocean, and the Demons they hunted were enough to fill a cemetery three times over.

Unfortunately, this astounding ability came with an expensive price. Any Child of the Wolf who kept using this ability would do so at the cost of one's own life.

The more they relied on its power, the more it killed them from the inside. Slowly stripping away their life force, piece by piece, until they keel over and rot in battle.

That is why most Heads of the Azarolla Family do not live past the age of 30.

They die before they could even watch their children grow.

Thus whether this bloodline is a curse disguised as a blessing is bound for speculation and to one's own interpretation. From one Azarolla to the next, this cycle of power and death continues and it will do so endlessly until the bloodline meets its end.

However, not all Azarollan Children awaken this Blessing.

In fact, there have been many times now that an Azarolla child did not awaken this latent ability. Over time as the bloodline spread downwards, the original blood of Ponoz, The Spirit God, slowly diluted, to the point where a child born with a powerful Spirit is considered rare and not only that, awakening this ability requires extensive effort and will.

But that did not stop the following generations of Azarolla from training their youths to be honorable and powerful Knights, whether or not they could use the Blessing of Ponoz.

This blessing, with the cost of its user’s life, allowed the Children of the Wolves to consistently name themselves the strongest.

For wolves are merciless, honorable, and most importantly powerful.

As long the blood of Azarolla flows within their veins, this power will be latent within them.

Waiting only to be awakened.

Roselia explained the curse to Joseph, who listened with ever growing concern and worry.

“Ack!” In her arms, Millo coughed blood, whilst. remaining unconscious.

“Millo!” Roselia shook her brother in her arms. His face was pale, and his eyes were rolled over as the color slowly drained from his skin. “Millo! Wake up!” Tears began to well up in Roselia’s eyes as Millo’s breathing slowed down to a concerning frequency.

“Dear!” Joseph held his wife’s hand to calm her down. “Breathe. He’s going to be okay…he just…passed out.”

Roselia looked at him before glancing back down as Millo’s face was slowly regaining the energy it used to have. “Thank the Goddess.” She held her brother's hand tightly. “This is why I didn't want you to be a Knight. I didn't want any of you, my dearest siblings, to follow Amelia or mine paths.”