Chapter 3: Training Wheels

Katherine's first days at the People's Railway academy were both exhilarating and challenging. She was eager to learn, to immerse herself in the world of she had adored and grown up with at last. As she walked through the halls of the academy, she couldn't help but feel a sense of camaraderie with her fellow students, many of whom shared her dream of becoming an engine driver.

It wasn't long before Katherine befriended Kristian, a Trinidadian immigrant with a passion for trains who had came there to fulfill his dreams as the railways in his homeland had closed long before his time, and James, a man of the republic's small but mighty Dutch community who had grown up being told of the rich railway history of his homeland. Together, the trio formed a tight-knit group, eating and studying together late into the night, sharing their hopes and fears for the future.

Their instructor, Timothy Sawner, was a strict and eccentric man who demanded nothing but the best from his students. He was known for his condescending attitude and his sharp tongue, often belittling those who did not meet his high standards. Unsurprisingly, many quit after being told off by him one too many times. Despite this, Katherine, Kristian, and James were determined to prove themselves, to show Mr. Sawner that they were capable of succeeding in his class.

The academy's curriculum was rigorous, covering everything from the basics of track maintenance to advanced steam locomotive design and operation. One of the academy's policies was that all members of staff, even those in administration, were required to have at least a basic knowledge of railway operation. This was something that Dante, a classmate of Katherine's, struggled to understand.

Dante was arrogant and class-conscious, believing that the job of an engine driver was beneath him. He often clashed with Mr. Sawner, questioning the relevance of the material they were learning and refusing to participate in hands-on training exercises.

On one of these, the students were being taught her to prepare a steam locomotive for the day. Katherine and James spent hours examining it, for it was a type they had both read intensely about, a British-built War Department 'Austerity' locomotive to be more precise, specifically with a 2-10-0 wheel arrangement to reduce the axle loading (the weight carried by each axle). James had a fondness for them, as engines of the same class had worked on the Dutch State Railways. Katherine believed they were real 'lookers' too. 

Anyways, Dante was being his usual self, as Mr Sawner noticed he was ignoring the words of the driver as he explained the workings of the locomotive

 "Dante, are you paying attention?" Mr. Sawner's voice cut across the yard, sharp and commanding.

Dante rolled his eyes, "Why should I? This stuff is so useless. I applied for a position in administration, why do I need to know this?"

Mr. Sawner's eyes narrowed. "Steam locomotives might not be directly in line with your position, Dante, but they are what this railway was built on. You would do well to remember that."

Katherine exchanged a glance with Kristian and James, knowing that Dante's attitude would only make things more difficult for all of them.

After class, Dante approached Mr. Sawner, a smirk playing on his lips. "Why are you so obsessed with these things, anyway? What's the point?"

Mr. Sawner sighed, his expression softening slightly. "When I was your age, I dreamed of being an engine driver. But life had other plans for me. During the First World War, I was severely injured by a landmine. Thus, I couldn't pass the health exam and had to get a job at the works. Teaching here is my way of staying connected to that dream, even if I can't live it myself."

Dante's smirk faded, replaced by a look of surprise. He had never considered that Mr. Sawner might have had dreams and aspirations of his own. A newfound respect was also formed for their teacher amongst some of the students, upon learning of the humanity within him.

Despite the challenges they faced, Katherine, Kristian, and James remained determined. They knew that becoming engine drivers was not just a job—it was a calling, a passion that burned brightly within them.