xii.

WHAT STARTED WITH OCCASIONAL CHECK-IN TEXTS AND SMILES IN HALLWAYS, turned into conversations during passing periods and dinner invites

WHAT STARTED WITH OCCASIONAL CHECK-IN TEXTS AND SMILES IN HALLWAYS, turned into conversations during passing periods and dinner invites. Over the course of a month, Peter and I started constantly texting. I'm not sure how he got my number, but I don't even care to know because his texts helped me a lot more than I'm willing to admit.

Peter:

Hey, I hope to see you at school today. I've missed seeing you around, and so have your friends :)

Emmie:

i don't think i can handle school today, but thank you Peter :)

Peter:

Of course! I can get some of your work and bring it by tonight for you.

    The first weeks after the accident were really hard. I didn't want to go to school because I'd have to face the reality that Lucía didn't go there anymore. And I definitely didn't want to go to the Sanctum either. It would remind me of how I should've had my sling ring so I could protect Lucía.

Peter:

Hey, how are you doing today?

Emmie:

not the best, but better than yesterday

Peter:

Well I'm glad you're doing just a bit better. Is there anything I can do to help?

Emmie:

honestly, i'm really struggling in algebra rn. would you want to like help me?

Peter:

Yeah of course! Meet in the library tomorrow before school?

Emmie:

thank you. see you then

    I struggled a lot in algebra and physics because I missed so much school so I was behind. Luckily my new friend was a genius, and very willing to help me out. We would meet before school, after school, and during study halls and he would re-teach the lessons I missed to me. My grades began to improve and our friendship began forming.

    Some days would be unbearable. The heavy weight in my chest would feel 10 times heavier and the guilt would almost make me nauseous. I started to realize that I needed to talk to someone. It made the pain more bearable little by little.

As much as I didn't want to dump my feelings onto Peter, he was my only option. Gwen wasn't much of a help with the grieving process, she had both her parents and siblings alive. How could she understand what I felt? I didn't want to bother my mom either. She was mourning too, and I didn't want to make her life any harder than it already was.