3

Silverbell stands up and flies to the bedroom doors. "You need some rest... I'm returning to His Majesty."

My tongue tumbles over my words as he leaves. "Wait, but—Silverbell! I need—"

Silverbell slams the doors shut in front of my face.

"I need to go outside," I finish my sentence and my head crashes into a pillow. I close my eyes and sigh, hoping I'll sleep my overwhelming feelings off.

Great.

What do I do now? Is sneaking out of the palace a good option? Well, there's Silverbell and some palace guards. But White Lily is out there and needs help at some point. Not just her, but the Faeries and the Silver Tree Knights.

I have to get out.

I get up and swallow my violent coughs whenever I get the urge. I have to remain silent so I don't get sent back.

I slowly creak open the bedroom doors and peek outside. Initially, I thought one of the palace guards would see me, but I didn't see many of them inside. Correction—none of them are inside. Maybe because of the Silver Tree.

White Lily.

Oh, goodness. I'm worried sick about her to the point my stomach knots.

I shake my head. Stay focused.

I tiptoe my way out of the bedroom while gently closing the doors. It hardly makes a sound once they close.

A violent cough booms across the rooms which startles me. I nearly tumble the Silver Knight's armor next to me and it wobbles, threatening to clang on the ground.

A Cookie with common sense may return to the bedroom. For me, it's too late. I hear Faerie wings fluttering their way to the silver staircase near me. If I return to the bedroom now, the doors are going to slam loudly. And it'll be obvious I tried to sneak out.

I recognize the fluttering sounds when they get close enough. It's Silverbell. I heard it flutter when he sat down next to me.

I am so going to get caught.

The earthbread-shattering coughs give me the urge to cough as well. Shoot. My hand shoots to my mouth, muffling any brief coughs as the fluttering wings get closer.

As expected, it was Silverbell. He flies down the silver staircase, and soon, he'll spot me outside of my bedroom. Why is he going outside? I thought he was supposed to stay with Elder Faerie.

I quickly tiptoe out of Silverbell's sight, my hand covering my mouth. The flutters fade and eventually, disappear.

That was close. To get out of this palace, I have to follow Silverbell, but I can't risk getting caught and sent back to my room.

Another cough booms across the hall, and it sounds familiar.

Then it clicks in my head.

It's Elder Faerie!

I don't have anywhere to go and I can't return to my bedroom. Perhaps I'll stay with Elder Faerie, now that Silverbell left him. I follow Elder Faerie's coughs in hopes of finding where he is.

After minutes of following the earthbread-shattering coughs, they lead me to Elder Faerie's bedroom. The doors are silver and floor-to-ceiling tall. A gigantic Silver Tree is carved across the doors.

This is it. I gently open the door and peek inside, searching for any sight of Elder Faerie.

I spot him resting on a grand bed with a miserable look. I open the doors even wider and step inside the bedroom.