Chp. 1

"Be safe, Silver."

"You too, Espio."

They stared at each other for a while, before Silver turned to leave back to the future. He couldn't shake the feeling that he was missing something however, and that feeling didn't leave as he headed closer and closer to the portal. Something urged him to head back and say one last goodbye to Espio. He tried to push this down, but it just wouldn't go away. He convinced himself that it wouldn't hurt to show his gratitude towards the other a bit better, seeing as the chameleon had been incredibly helpful in his quest to stop the Ifrit. The future could wait, at least, for a little bit.

Silver rushed back to where he had left the chameleon, only to find him collapsed on the ground. He started to panic internally, not quite sure what to do. He could just leave him there, surely someone would find him eventually? "No, no, that would be rude. Besides, there would be no guarantee he'd be okay on his own out here," Silver thought to himself. He knelt down to pick up his purple companion, only to jolt backwards at the crackling noise that came from beside him.

"Hey, I finally got the communications back up. So, was he the one behind the Chao disappearances?"

Silver relaxed slightly upon realizing the sound wasn't anything to be worried about, but was still unsure on what to do. Should he answer? Espio clearly wouldn't be answering any time soon, he was knocked out on the ground. He could-

"Espio? Ya there?"

The voice coming from the walkie-talkie pulled him out of his thoughts. He figured the smartest decision would be to answer the voice, and attempt to explain his situation. Maybe this person would be able to point him in the direction of Espio's residence, assuming he has one that is. "Hello? Who is this?" Silver spoke into the device.

"Better question would be: Who are you? Where's Espio?!" The voice barked back at him.

"I'm Silver, a friend of Espio's. Now, who are you?"

"Silver?! How did- Wha- You know what, nevermind. I'm Vector. Now, mind answerin' my second question? Where's Espio?"

Silver looked beside him, where Espio was passed out. "He's unconscious. He'll be fine, though."

"HE'S- WHAT?! WHAT HAPPENED?!"

Silver winced at the loud noises coming from the device he held. "I'm not really sure. If you could just tell me where Espio's house is, I can bring him there," Silver calmly spoke.

He could hear the other person take deep breaths, attempting to relax himself. "I'll give you the address, you'll be able to figure it out from there?"

"I'm sure I can find a map or something. Can't be too hard to find my way."

After receiving the location from Vector, Silver scooped up the still-unconscious Espio in his arms. He leaned his head a bit closer to the other's chest, just to double-check he was still breathing. He let out a faint sigh of relief as he heard the other inhale and exhale at a steady rate. There wasn't anything to be worried about. He'd be able to leave Espio back at his house, where one of his friends would be able to help him. He'd be fine. Then, Silver could go back to the future. Where he belonged. He would be there now if he could, but in this moment he decided it was more important to make sure Espio was safe.

                                                ***

All the winding roads and dead ends of the city stressed the hedgehog out. Eventually, through much confusion and annoyance, Silver found what he assumed to be Espio's household. He attempted to open the door, only to come to the obvious conclusion that it was locked. He checked Espio's gloves, seeing if the other had managed to keep his house key stashed away in them. He found it, and unlocked the door (not without more struggle of course). Upon walking into the residence, he was met with a baffled crocodile and a small bee, who was playing with small toy cars on the floor. Silver immediately held Espio closer to his chest in an attempt to protect him, and got into a stance where he could fight back or run away if necessary. "Who are you?! What are you doing in Espio's house?" he shouted.