Leaving

WEDNESDAY 5:45 P.M.

Daria tossed a few pairs of clean socks into her tiny suitcase, which was already nearly filled. She felt the need to pack lightly and quickly; no reason to give Helen or Jake a chance to change their minds about their daughter's week at Jane's, and she wanted to get back to the city while there was still time to find a decent vacant hotel room.

No doubt, at her place, Jane was doing the same thing, while trying to drill into Trent's laconic skull their instructions to let them know immediately if Wind should show up. Of course, that was no guarantee of anything;

Trent could sleep through Wind's arrival, or intend to call and decide to take a nap first. And that didn't even include the possibility of Mystik Spiral having a gig someplace that would keep them away for a while. Still, he was the only watchdog they had. But Daria didn't think he would be that necessary anyway; no doubt Jane was right, and if Wind was going to show up, he would have done so already.

Daria closed her suitcase, and, pressing down hard on the locks, managed to snap it shut, just in time.

Quinn: Daria, have you seen . . .Daria, where are you going? (Narrower her eyes dangerously.)

Daria: To Jane's. You were standing right there when I told Mom and Dad.

Quinn: You never pack when you go to Jane's, You keep a toothbrush there already, and several selections from your . . . wardrobe. Where are you really going?

Damn, when did Quinn get so perceptive? I don't have time for this; I'll have to settle it the old-fashioned way.

Daria: How much?

Quinn didn't immediately answer; instead, she looked slowly around, scoping out her environs. She smiled, and Daria was suddenly very worried.

Daria: I want your room if you go off to college, I mean. I think it has real potential, once I take down the padding from the walls and remove the bars from the windows and replace that door with the awful poetry and . . .

Daria: Quinn I'll still need this room over the summer; you can't have it.

Quinn: Daria,do you really plan to move back here for summers? Could you enjoy Lawndale after living in Boston?

I don't enjoy it now, Daria thought, but her sister had a point. Living within these four walls again, after having enjoyed relative freedom, would be unbearable.

Quinn I'll even give you an extra incentive.,In addition to not telling Mom or Dad what you are planning, I'll even provide a distraction so you can make it out the door without them seeing you or your suitcase. Deal?

Daria: Deal. I'm leaving now, so if you could provide your distraction, it would be most helpful.

Quinn nodded, and headed out the door. A few seconds later, Daria heard her sister tell their parents something about her new older boyfriend who was coming by to pick her up on his motorcycle.

Taking her advantage, Daria slipped out of her room, down the stairs, and out the front door without so much as a sideways glance from either of her parents (though she thought she caught a quick wink from Quinn). Then, she was off.