Chapter 8 Freedom

Harry tried to argue that he hadn't put his name in the Goblet, but he was fairly certain Crouch, Bagman and the foreign heads of schools didn't believe him. Krum and Delacour seemed on the fence, mostly just annoyed that regardless of whether he'd entered on purpose, he was being forced to compete and would now be an extra obstacle between them and winning.

Dumbledore was clear; the Goblet was a binding magical contract that could not be circumvented, and there would be dire consequences if they were to try. The four of them were released after a far-too-cheerful Bagman gave them the non-clue about the first task, and Harry and Cedric immediately found Neville and Luna waiting for them outside the hall. They retreated to a quiet spot for privacy, and Neville turned to Harry with a serious set to his jaw. "What did they say?"

"Half of them think I entered myself. Regardless, I'm the fourth champion whether I like it or not." Harry gave a fake smile, shaking his head. "Merlin, I should've known something like this would happen. Fucking Halloween."

"I think Moody's right, you know," Cedric piped up, hand running soothingly over Harry's back. Neville and Luna looked at him enquiringly.

"Moody thinks whoever entered my name is trying to get me killed," Harry supplied, grimacing. "And I agree, he's probably right. Which means it's probably something to do with Voldemort. Very likely, him trying to get his body back." There were any number of rituals he could be using, several of which would involve Harry himself.

"You're going to let them try," Luna said knowingly, her silver eyes practically glowing in the low light. Harry nodded.

"There's nothing I can do to stop it. Whoever entered me is expecting a scared, untrained fourteen year-old wizard. They're in for a few surprises on that front. But we're already looking for ways to destroy Voldemort, and it'll end in us destroying his mortal body. If this tournament can get me closer to meeting him, I might as well follow it through. Maybe I can end it all before the school year is over." He was all about turning crappy situations to his advantage, and this was a prime example of that.

"Just don't do anything stupid," Neville pleaded, making Harry roll his eyes.

"It'll be fine," he insisted. "Sorry I stole your limelight, love," he added, kissing Cedric on the cheek. The Hufflepuff frowned, one hand gently rubbing the nape of Harry's neck.

"I'll happily share it with you, I'm just worried you'll get hurt," he replied.

"I'll look after myself if you promise to do the same," Harry said. "Now, I suppose I'd best face the masses." He wasn't looking forward to dealing with the reaction of the Gryffindors.

"If it's bad, I'll distract them, you run up to the dorm," Neville half-joked. Harry sighed.

"Go celebrate with your house," he said to Cedric, pulling him down into a proper kiss. "You deserve it, and I'm proud of you."

"I love you," Cedric returned, saying his goodbyes to the others and slipping out of the room. Harry, Neville and Luna walked together as far as they could, and when Luna parted to head to Ravenclaw, Harry's stomach began to churn anxiously.

Far from the anger he'd expected, he opened the portrait to raucous noise - a party had started in Gryffindor tower. All over, people were calling out their congratulations to him. Did they think it was all intentional?

"I knew if anyone could fool the line, it'd be you, Harry!" Seamus cheered, seemingly forgetting that he'd been blanking Harry in favour of Ron for the better part of a month. Harry gaped at him.

"Do all of you seriously think I put my own name in?" he asked incredulously. The cheering died down a little bit.

"You don't have to lie to us, Harry!" Angelina called. "We won't dob you in!"