~Chapter Two~

Among the misty skies, strips of green and aqua entwined, flowing like snakes made of water. Pine trees stuck up from the ground, tall and strong, their dark needles blended together on the inky hill. A castle made of goldenstone (a light yet durable stone iith flecks of golden color in it) spiraled into the sky from three mighty towers, each topped with a state-of-the-art archer's building. Lights flickered dimly from the receding towns, almost like roots for the castle, that dwindled down to the fields and crops of the peasants' villages. The king who inhabited this ancient castle was called King Lucan. He has a way with words, and any who try to talk war with him always come back calmed! He has long, straight blonde hair and a very neat goatee and eyes as gentle as a mother's gaze. King Lucan isn't necessarily muscular or thick, he is almost like any average person. Citizens of his kingdom, Neopatroz, would never think of angering him.

     In this mighty castle, King Lucan sighed and walked to a wooden desk that had several stacks of papers on it. "Do you want me to help you with those papers? I know it might seem like a lot, but each one has a very important place I need to sign." A smooth, deep voice from the doorway. Startled, King Lucan turned around, and his heart rate slowed with relief as he recognized the figure. "Oh, Jonathan, it's you. No, it's alright, I can carry a few documents on my own." He blinked thankfully at him for the offer though. "It wouldn't be very polite to leave you to carry three stacks of papers, when you have only two hands. It is my business, after all. I should be thanking you for even looking at them!" Jonathan sighed, picking up the largest stack, with a ribbon tying it together so it wouldn't fall so easily. Jonathan bumped against the door with his free elbow to open it, and held it for King Lucan.

     "It's nothing to worry about. I feel quite useless when I'm not doing any work." King Lucan smiled, nodding to him as thanks. The pair walked down the hallway, the torches flickering on the stone brick wall. "Looks like the spirits are dancing tonight!" Jonathan grinned as they entered the courtyard, the night sky shining in. "I suppose they are! It sure is beautiful. You know what that means?" The shorter man grinned. "Yep." Jonathan rolled his eyes. "They will choose the new wardens tomorrow morning. Which ALSO means I need to write my signature on every bloody paper." He sighed. "Now, you know how excited those young faces are every year! It makes their life worth living." He soothed. "As head warden, you need to control that fiery temper." Lucan chuckled, nudging him gently. "Yes, yes, I know." He sighed, rolling his eyes discreetly. Jonathan paused as a window came up on his side, and looked at himself. He needed to trim his beard... he brushed his black hair back neatly with his free hand, and a bit of it dangled in front of his nasty scar. Pleased with the terrible sight somewhat hidden, he caught up swiftly with King Lucan.

     "What were you doing back there? Brushing your hair and putting on makeup?" The king smiled jokingly. "Just..." He trailed off, staring ahead. "Jonathan. You know that a scar doesn't make you ugly. It gives you character! Strong, courageous character!" King Lucan gazed softly at him, almost apologizing for opening this wound. "There is no courage in that mark." He gritted his teeth. "Um.. here we are. Your office I believe." "Yes. My office. I'll take those from you." Jonathan quickly took the papers from King Lucan's grip and walked swiftly inside, closing the door firmly. King Lucan stood outside, stunned from how fast all that happened, and he sighed, turning back to his room. Jonathan would take all night to get over that... he inhaled sharply, running his hands through his silky hair. The spirits continued to dance, entwining together and then separating in an otherworldly waltz.

                                                                                             *

     Kali blinked and sat back in his chair, gazing at the food on his plate. He knew he needed to eat it, but... he just wasn't that hungry! "Is something wrong with the food?" His father, Ambros, asked, looking over at him. "Well, the eggs are kind of gross- no! Just... nervous." Kali smiled, picked up a fork and gingerly separated the eggs from his other food. The boy sighed and placed his head in one of his hands, still messing around on his plate. "Oh, you know you'll be chosen! Being a warden has been your dream since you were shorter than my knees! I just know that Jonathan will say your name on that stage tomorrow." Ambros smiled, laying a hand on Kali's wrist gently.