Seine Augen (His Eyes)

After sharing moments of laughter with Kat and Tjaden, did they finally start to open up. Kat was talking about his wife, her strong personality and dark brown hair. His eyes lit up when he talked about her, he held so much love in his heart. Adel could tell he couldn't wait to get home. Tjaden didn't have much to talk about his eyes stayed sullen the whole time, it was obvious he did not enjoy the family topic. Adel never really talks about her bruder, it hurts to much to bring up the boy who once cared for her so dearly, but she trusted that Kat and Tjaden knew how hard the loss was. Her eyes stayed planted to her shoes caked with dust, she didn't talk about him much for the fear of tears. 

...

A while later two other men planted themselves next to Kat, like their leader. They both introduced themselves. They always said their last names though as not to confuse since some had similar names. It was Muller and Kropp. They were kind but quite awkward, they did not know how to talk to women in the slightest. They also couldn't make eye contact for scheisse which make Adel smirk a little at these boys who claim to be almighty and strong. "Wo ist Paul?" -Where is Paul? asks Kat to avert the uncomfortable gazes.  "Oh he was using the bathroom last we saw, he should be over fairly soon." Muller answers while fiddling with his boot lace. "Well theirs the man of the hour." says Tjaden only a few mintes later. He turns his head and stares a someone new. Muller takes his eyes off the laces and looks up at Paul with a smile. But Paul looks straight at Adel, their gazes meet, and for the first time Adel turns bright red. 

His blue eyes stared into hers with curiosity. His beautiful blue eyes, dark as the running river but as inviting as a free banquet. Yet the most noticeable thing about them was the blind look he gave, as if brainwashed.  Adel looks away for a moment turning her head back towards the others, luckily nobody noticed her flushed look. It angered her what had happened, why did she find him so mesmerizing and so lost. He sat down next to all of them. "This is Paul." says Kat. "Now you've met everybody." They all shuffle around awkwardly except for Kat and Tjaden who are already well enough acquainted with Adel.

 "I am starving, any body else up for some, delicious, soup." Kat says sarcastically. "Cause I know I am for the 20th time this week." They all grin at his joke and start to stand. Adel stays put, why would she eat the soldiers rations.? Tjaden gives her a look and says "Well come on, we can't leave you behind or somebody else will take ya". Adel smiles and stands up following the group to the kitchen.  As she is walking she feels a sense wash over her. Why should she trust these people out into an unknown area. Really shows how smart she is. She wants to stop but it seems her feet are dragging her along. With the hungry men and the blue eyed boy. 

...

As the soggy and mushy soup is handed to Adel and the men she doesn't make a peep, scared to make them change their minds suddenly and attack her like rapid dogs. It's not that they were untrustworthy or that all soldiers made her nervous, it was the fact that she would dare go into something without expecting what would could come next. I'll just say it she was afraid of the future. "How is it?" Kropp asks with a smug look on his face, he seemed proud of himself for creating conversation. "Cold." she answers with a chuckle. The men seem to agree as they also take bites themselves, it looked like chewing was a hard labor for them. They all finish up their soups and so does Adel even though she wasn't hungry. She would't dare waste a drop.

...

As they walk back out the kitchen, the time does not even tick in their heads. Logically it was far too late for any of them to still be talking with Adel but then again they are not human watches. Plus they didn't own any either. They all head back towards the dirty dance floor from which they first met, still talking and laughing about dumb things. Anything that would take their minds off the next day, which could be their last. As they enter the area once filled with school girls and happy soldiers, they find empty, not a soul around. Adels heart skips a beat. "Neine." she says in a whisper. "Its 11 ." says Paul, his first words that Adel had ever heard from him. "Thats it then, they left." Adel says before staring back at them in disbelief. She was not going home that night, they left without her...

TO BE CONTINUED...