One

It was the first day of fifth year and I sat in the Slytherin common room watching Pansy the pug trying to seduce Draco Malfoy. The only thought that kept crossing my mind was why would anyone including pugface want to seduce that cocky bastard. But then again, she was so pugly she was desperate. Why would she think anyone would be desperate enough to hump her. Okay so two things were going through my mind.

   I was sitting there starring at some random thing on the ground and started to think. Only five years ago I was a first year. I was sorted into Slytherin five whole years ago. I mean I guess it was expected. My mom was Slytherin, but my dad was Slytherin for like a year then dropped out. Lucky bastard I tried and failed miserably. Apparently, my dad was the very first to successfully drop out and get away with it. Anyway. Also, me being a pure blood made everyone think Slytherin and I don't get why but okay. Actually, my family is one of the purest blood families alive today. We have never once had a half-blood or mudblood in our family. I have no problem with either of them, but my family did.

   I started to think back five years ago. Back to when I was a short, fat cow, awkward looking eleven-year-old. I was certainly not the prettiest girl at Hogwarts. But at least I was not as bad off as Pansy. She made warts look pretty.

   "Pandora Phelps." I was called to sit on the stool to be sorted. My heart was racing a mile a second.

   "Well...Well...What do we have here a young Phelps haven't sorted anyone from your family in twenty or more years. Now let's see. Hmmm... Loyal...hard working...Hufflepuff could be fitting." I swear if this hat sorts me into Hufflepuff I will take myself to get lost in the forbidden forest.

   "Wait look here your bold and overly courageous. Gryffindor would suit you nicely." Secretly I hoped for Gryffindor, but I also dreaded it immensely. My family would never let me return home. "But Slytherin you would be perfect for you as a Phelps." He whispered to me so no one else could here. At this moment I realized everyone could hear everything he was saying up until that point. My face turned red from the embarrassment of that hat calling out Hufflepuff as a possibility. "So many choices " He said again loud enough for everyone to hear. " You would fit very nicely in a few of the houses.

   "Just tell me where I am going to be sleeping." I groaned under my breath to the hat. I felt as if I was becoming the side show of the sorting ceremony. I really did not want all eyes on me for this long of a time.

   "Gryf....rav...huffle....no gryfin.... SLYTHERIN!" He said finally deciding.

I made a sound that was a mix of a sob and a happy cheer. I climbed off the stool as the hat was removed from my head. My family would be proud, I no longer had the worry of being cast out by my parents for coming home anything but a Slytherin. But in my heart, I knew I wanted to be a Gryffindor. Gryffindor always sounded like home.

   I heard snickering as I finally reach an open spot at the Slytherin table. I looked up to see in front of me was Draco Malfoy. Bloody hell I have heard about him and didn't really want to deal with him for so many years. After further examination the only open seat I saw was right next to him. I giggled as I sat down, he was a very funny looking kid.... kind of like me.

I was shaken out of my dazed remembering state by an immense pain in my right shoulder. "BLOODY HELL!" I yelled swatting at the owl who landed on my shoulder.

   I heard Draco Malfoy laugh his horrible spine-chilling laugh that he thought was so cool and villainess "Shut it Malfoy!" I replied with little enthusiasm. My theory was maybe if I did not put much energy into our interactions, then maybe he would leave me the hell alone most of the year.