Three

Neville and I had been talking for thirty minutes. It wasn't boring don't get me wrong. It was quite nice talking to him. Plus this party was oddly stale. He made me laugh until my sides cramped something I had not done since Ron decided we were better as friends. Its over and done. We are just friends. I mentally reminded myself as I realized my mind wandered farther and farther towards Ron.

   "You still like him don't you." I have no idea how he always knows what I am thinking. I hated how he could read my mind like that.

   I realized I was staring at Ron. I looked back at Neville. I cocked my head to the side. I saw curiosity cross his eyes. Then jealously clouded them for only a second. "Why? Are you jealous?" I asked. He looked at me and blushing a light pink color across his cheeks.

   "N...No." He stuttered trying to regain his composer.

   Had Neville developed a crush on me? I really hope not I did not want another complicated friendship in my life. Honestly I did not want another relationship in my life at this time. "I do not have a certain answer for you Longbottom."

   "Wow. Really taking this joke far." Draco laughed walking by. "Is this the new Weasley?" His face turned into a disapproving scowl as he looked between the two of us.

   Neville instantly looked down. He folded his hands in his lap and intently watched his thumbs move about. He was not one for confrontation. I had only seen him stand up to someone once in the years I had known him, but that was to defend a friends not himself.

   "I think he secretly hopes so." Draco laughed to his two minions. Neville stood up quickly but casually walking out of the Slytherin common room.

   "Malfoy what is your problem. Why do you have to be such an ass?" I half yelled half whispered. I stood up quickly as I spoke doing my best to look intimidating. But his six foot frame towered over my own.

   "Because he is a spineless Gryffindor. He would better suite Hufflepuff the hat made the wrong choice with that one ." He shrugged playing off as tired of this conversation when in reality he was eating this up. Malfoy was a sucker for ay type of argument or fight. He lived for it,

   "The hat doesn't make mistakes but your parents did by not letting you be swallowed." I want really speaking to anyone but myself as I pushed by him. I could have sworn my eyes were playing tricks on me since Malfoy looked hurt by my words.

   "Neville." I shouted in a hushed tone as I walked out of the common room entrance. I saw him turning the corner. It looked like he was heading for the Gryffindor common room entrance. But a voice inside my head told me he was heading outside of Hogwarts.

   I speed up my pace to a brisk walk being sure i stayed quiet. I was not interested in getting detention my first day back. I turned a corner before smacking into the back of someone. "What is with me and running into people to day bloody hell." I mentally rolled my eyes letting that phrase slip my lips once again.

   "Why did you come after me?" I looked up and saw it was Neville. He offered me both hands before pulling me to my feet swiftly.

   "Because I care." I stated matter of fact as I dusted myself off from my date with the ground. The third one of the day if my memory recalls correctly.

   "Why?" He was avoiding eye contact at the moment. I really hated seeing him like this.

   "Because someone needs to." I grabbed his wrist giving it a slight squeeze.

   "You don't have to be so nice to me. I know I don't really fit in. I'm the weird kids." He sat down on a the small brick wall lining the pathway.

   "Yeah your pretty weird. But nothing is wrong with that. I like weird. I mean I am friends with the Weasleys. " I joked hoping to being a smile to his face. I gasped when he wrapped his arms around my shoulder pulling me in for a hug. I wrapped my arms around his waist in return.