4

The bell echoed through the halls as students began to spill out of classrooms. Will, with his thoughts a million miles away, accidentally bumped into Mike. Papers from Mike's hands fluttered like snowflakes to the floor.

"Sorry, Mike," Will muttered, bending down to help gather the scattered sheets.

"It's cool, don't worry about it," Mike replied, his eyes meeting Will's with a friendly spark. "Actually, this is perfect timing. We're paired up for the history project, remember? Maybe it's fate," he added with a playful grin.

Will couldn't help but smile back, despite the butterflies in his stomach. "Yeah, I remember. What's our plan?"

"I could meet up at your house," Mike suggested as they started walking again through the hallways.

Will shook his head. "I don't think that's a good idea. How about your house?"

Mike shook his head as well. "Hawkins Library?" Mike said. Will nodded. "How does fifteen hundred hours sound?"

Will's eyebrows furrowed. "What?"

Mike sighed. "Three pm."

"That sounds fine," Will replied. "This is my class, bye." Will waved to Mike as he walked into his biomed class. Mike waved back at Will before starting to run as the bell rang signaling to Mike that he was late. Will laughed quietly when he saw Mike sprint in the halls. He walked over to his seat, next to Max who was currently drawing a spider on herself.

Will sat down and noticed her nose was bleeding. "You okay?" Will whispered to Max. Max nodded before wiping her nose with a tissue from a pile of tissues on her desk.

"Yeah, my allergies are just bothering me," Max answered Will as she got up to throw the tissue away. Will's eyes followed her with a confused look, before shrugging it off. Max came back to her seat. "So... how are you?"

"I'm good," Will replied with a half smile. "How are you?"

"I'm alright." Max shrugged. "My allergies are bothering me and my pet fish died last night but other than that I'm fine."

A ruler was slammed on their desk by everyone in the school's least favourite substitute. "Quiet." The substitute whispered-yelled. Will rolled his eyes before leaning back in his chair.

The substitute went on about math, even though this was an English class. No one told her though because they were supposed to be writing an essay today.

When the bell rang at two-thirty, Will was the first one out of his seat. He was also the first out the door. He wouldn't be able to head home before going to the library to meet up with Mike at three because he wouldn't even get home until three. Will found El at their usual meet-up spot. He ran to her once he saw her.

"I'm not going on the bus today," Will told El as they started walking outside to the bus loop.

El pulled Will over to the side. "What do you mean? Are you staying after?" El asked. Will shook his head. "Is someone picking you up?"

"No," Will started, shaking his head again. "I'm walking to the library to meet up with Mike for our history project." He explained. Students behind Will kept running into him so El pulled him even further off to the side.

"Does mom know?" El questioned. "Because I'd be surpris-"

"She doesn't" Will interrupted El. He sighed as El started shaking her head in disappointment. "I don't have time to head home or else I would."

"Whatever, just don't be surprised if she's mad." El then walked away from Will, joining the crowd of students walking towards their buses. Will turned the other way, heading towards the sidewalk next to the street outside of the school. Will knew his way to the library because his mom used to take him every day after school when he was thirteen. And it wasn't far, he might even get there before Mike giving him time to get ahead on the project.