An Intervention

It never occurred to Kat just how often Casper cooked until he suddenly stopped. It took two weeks of instant foods and microwaveable dinners to notice the change in atmosphere during family dinner.

The Harveys decided on pizza for tonight, and upon the request of the ghostly trio, James ordered Chinese takeout. Admittedly, Kat was getting tired of the junk food. Was she willing to address that? Absolutely not. She was determined to continue avoiding Casper as long as she could help it.

"Hey guys," James called out from the dining table. "Your food is getting cold, just the way you like it-" Stretch, Fatso, and Stinkie had already taken their seats before James had even finished the sentence.

Kat considered migrating to her room to finish her own dinner before she could be subjected to the horrific spectacle that was the trio gorging themselves. Her dad shot her a look, as if he could read her mind. She had finally agreed to eat at the dinner table tonight, due to her absence throughout the past month. She was already regretting her promise.

To Kat's surprise, the trio was actually taking their time, rather than inhaling their appetizers, entrees, and desserts all at once. Each of the ghosts picked at their food. Their faces displayed looks of disdain. The table was quiet enough to hear the chewing of food and sips from drinks. It was almost as unbearable as nails on a chalkboard. Kat quickly ate the last of her pizza and scooted her chair back to step away from the table.

"Where are you off to?"

She let out an exasperated sigh. "I'm getting ready for bed."

Kat knew that her dad had already been seeing right through her recent bullshit excuses. Telling by the look on his face, he wasn't going to let it slide this time.

"It's been a long day," she added, to which James raised a skeptical eyebrow.

"Listen," he adjusted his seat to better face her. "You know that I trust you to figure things out on your own, but you're starting to worry me."

"There's nothing to be worried about," Kat responded. Her voice sounded more cold and harsh than she had intended. "Why do you think so?"

The sudden force of a slam against the table caused glasses to fall over and sent silverware flying in all directions as Fatso interjected, "how 'bout you ask Casper?"

"Oh wait-" Stinkie chimed in, "he's not here!"

Stretch nodded along with his brothers, arms crossed. "There's been nobody to cook or do the chores for days!" He leaned across the table to sneer, "all thanks to you!"

"It's not my fault!" Kat argued. "It's impossible to talk to him without fighting. He's been so sensitive lately."

"Sensitive?" Stinkie laughed.

"That's just Casper on a good day," Fatso said through a chuckle.

James cleared his throat to call attention back to the issue at hand, "what is it about these fights that's causing so much tension?"

Kat was at a loss of alternatives to get out of the conversation. It wasn't that she didn't want to answer the question. She was still pissed at Casper, of course. Who knows how long it would take for her to let go of the grudge. Even so, nothing in her mind could justify compromising his privacy like that.

"It's just. . ." Kat was slow to speak, to be certain she wasn't sharing more than what was necessary. "It's been hard for both of us to cope. . . you know, since I'll be graduating in a few months."

Some of the dread that had been following her was beginning to be lifted. Even if it was only a fraction of the truth, it was still the truth. At least it was convincing enough to receive a sympathetic nod from James.