i. tests & restless nights

▎𝐓𝐔𝐓𝐄𝐋𝐀𝐑𝐘!  ▎
ONE ─── tests & restless nights.

▎𝐓𝐔𝐓𝐄𝐋𝐀𝐑𝐘!  ▎ONE ─── tests & restless nights

     VALKYRIES ARE VERY protective beings

VALKYRIES ARE VERY protective beings. In many mythological tales, their ultimate purpose was to carry the fallen warriors that perished in battle to Valhalla where their souls would reside in blissful harmony for eternal paradise. However, there wasn't just one type of valkyrie. A heroine valkyrie is what Noa was — the kind that only guarded the lives of those dearest to them. In her case, whomever she was assigned to protect; Paul Atreides.

     When she was first assigned to the House of Atreides she was barely touching the ripe age of seven years old. In those times, her duty merely consisted of being the only company the young boy had in his life. Frequent Innocent exchanges of soft giggles escaped from dimpled cheeks that ached from continuous smiles. Small pieces of grass littered the wild heads of curly hair the two of them possessed from previously rolling in the freshly cut grass the maintenance keepers recently trimmed. Within years, the grass turned to responsibilities, and the dimples into abstract bruises from the numerous sparring lessons shared between the two of them. Thus, their years of childish moments were gone, left in the dreams they'd endeavor in the night.

     Now, she resided in the chambers next door to the young heir lying awake in her pristine silk sheets staring at the ceiling. The thunderous Caladan rain pelted down onto the glass windows surrounding her, keeping her conscious. This was Noa's first night back from her annual trip to the emperor's headquarters where her fellow valkyrie sisters remained. No other planets she has ever visited had rain as loud as Caladan's.

     A loud groan pierced into the night air, interrupting the song the raindrops created around her.

     Noa immediately shot up into a seated position in her bed — any signs of potential sleep are long gone and forgotten. Grabbing a dagger with the valkyries' signature emblem on the hilt from her bedside table, she calmly arose out of bed and stalked towards her bedroom door. Her hands turned white in contrast to her usual brown skin from how tight she held it. Raising to the balls of her feet to remain as silent as possible, she took a deep breath and left the comfort of her room. The marble flooring in the hallway lightly tickled the bottom of her feet, but she barely noticed due to her desperation to find the source of sound.