Prologue

Please note that Jun died in this fic. Past Wonhui, Main Minwon. There will be some flashbacks about Wonhui later on.

The plot is inspired from

para _moreguilt

.

.

.

.

.

.

                                                                      Chapter1: Prologue

Summer, Year 2017

The thunderous footsteps as he hurtles down the alley of the hospital are not as loud as the hammering sound in his chest. Those, too, are nothing in comparison to the reverberant words in his ears, shutting him off from all the other sounds. The siren from the ambulance and the rattling of the stretcher are indistinct to him, the words people muttered around him are jumbled into a gabble. Despite the strong hands that stop him from approaching the stretcher, he struggles just as strongly. Arms thrashing, trying to grasp the person he loves the most but never reaching him. He couldn't hear his voice, no matter how hard he shouted. The strident voice in his head is still there, denying the reality, convincing him it was not true.

Still, Wonwoo shouts his name. If he calls him loud enough, long enough, then perhaps Jun would open his eyes.

He manages to break from the medical officer's hold, tumbling his way to the stretcher, where a rigid body lies. He yanked the white fabric that covered his face swiftly, revealing the face that would haunt his dreams for many years to come. It has been over a year since he last saw Jun, the older man is still as beautiful as he remembers. Even if his face is too pale as if he has been drained out of blood, his skin is stone cold when Wonwoo brushes his fingers on it, and the rosy lips he used to kiss are now discolored. Wonwoo calls his name, again, much gentler now that he is back by Jun's side, where he belongs.

It's not true. It's just a dream. A nightmare. Someone wake me up. It's not true, not true, the voice says to him, no longer loud but wavering as his sanity starts to crumble on him.

"He's not breathing," his voice cracks when he speaks, he doesn't realize he is crying until he tastes salt on his tongue. Between his sobs and sniffles, he keeps stating the words that Jun is not breathing, he's not fucking breathing but why does everyone stand still and do nothing? He repeated it over and over like a madman until his wobbling voice turned hoarse. "Please, do something."

"I'm sorry, sir," someone who dresses in a white coat with a stethoscope hanging around his shoulder looks at him in sympathy. "We already lost him on the way."

The next words were muffled in Wonwoo's ears, his vision was hazy with tears blocking his eyes. The man said something about how Jun asked them to bring him home when his condition got worse, how they tried their best to keep his condition steady during the plane trip but in the end, they couldn't save him. He didn't even get to breathe his hometown's air. Wonwoo isn't listening. The shrilling noises in his ear made him feel dizzy. He lurches away from the body-- From Jun. Lifeless Jun.

Wonwoo's strength leaves his body, someone catches him before he hits the ground, but he doesn't make an effort to see who.

"Wonwoo!"

Comes Joshua's voice, frantic for an otherwise composed person. Wonwoo cries something that comes out as a wheeze, between ragged and unstable breaths. Joshua holds him on his lap, his panicked face is the last thing Wonwoo remembers before he succumbs to the darkness.