Chapter 3: Moonlit Meeting

The next few days passed in a blur of frantic research and dead ends. Lena chased down every lead she could find, from obscure folklore references to dubious conspiracy theories. She pored over police reports and medical examiner files, searching for any scrap of evidence that might support her growing theory.

But for all her efforts, she seemed no closer to the truth. The werewolves, if they existed, remained stubbornly hidden, cloaked in shadow and mystery.

Lena was beginning to feel the strain, both mentally and physically. Her eyes were gritty from staring at computer screens late into the night, her mind buzzing with unanswered questions. She subsisted on a diet of coffee and vending machine snacks, snatched in moments between interviews and stakeouts.

But she couldn't give up. Not now, not when she was so close to the truth. She owed it to herself, to the victims, to see this through to the end.

It was on the fourth night of her investigation that the break came. Lena was staking out yet another crime scene, a dimly lit alley in the heart of the city's industrial district. The police had long since cleared out, leaving only the faint traces of blood and police tape to mark the spot where another body had been found, torn to shreds by an unknown assailant.

Lena shivered in the chill night air, pulling her jacket tighter around herself. She knew it was a long shot, that the chances of the killer returning to the scene were slim to none. But she had to try, had to exhaust every possibility.

She was just about to call it a night, to head home and catch a few precious hours of sleep, when she heard it. A low, guttural growl, echoing from the shadows at the far end of the alley.

Lena froze, her heart hammering in her chest. She strained her ears, listening for any sign of movement, of something lurking in the darkness.

For a long moment, there was nothing. Just the faint hum of distant traffic, the skittering of rats in the dumpsters. Lena began to wonder if she'd imagined it, if her sleep-deprived mind was playing tricks on her.

And then she saw it. A pair of glowing blue eyes, shining like beacons in the gloom. They seemed to float in the air, disembodied and otherworldly, until the rest of the creature emerged from the shadows.

It was massive, easily the size of a large man. But there was nothing human about its form. It moved on four legs, its body covered in shaggy, dark fur. Its muzzle was elongated, filled with gleaming white teeth that looked sharp enough to tear through flesh and bone.

And yet, there was something uncanny about its gait, about the way it moved. It was too fluid, too graceful for a mere animal. And its eyes...those piercing, intelligent eyes...

Lena felt a chill run down her spine. She knew, with a sudden, unshakable certainty, that she was looking at a werewolf. A real, live werewolf, straight out of legend and nightmare.

For a moment, she was frozen, paralyzed by a mixture of terror and awe. She watched as the creature padded silently down the alley, its nose to the ground as if following a scent.

And then, without warning, it stopped. Its head snapped up, its eyes locking onto Lena's with an intensity that took her breath away.

Lena's mind screamed at her to run, to flee before the beast could pounce. But her body refused to cooperate, rooted to the spot by some primal instinct.

The werewolf took a step towards her, then another. Lena could see the ripple of muscle beneath its fur, the coiled power in every movement. It was a predator, a killer, and she was its prey.

But even as the thought crossed her mind, something strange happened. The werewolf hesitated, its ears flicking back as if in uncertainty. It cocked its head to the side, studying Lena with an almost curious expression.