The Debate (Day 3: Homeschool)

The blockade he'd put between business and school starts to fuzz...

Player needs his friend back. He will get her back.

Player Week 2024: Day 3 Homeschool
—————————————————————

Running away is easy,
It's the leaving that's hard.
Running away is easy...

Player's chin rests slumped on his hand, a wave of fatigue separating him from his work. He's perched uncomfortably at his desk. Hungry, tired, glaring at his assignment.

No matter how much he squints, it's all a fuzz, a fuzz that was due soon...

He'd spent the time for this essay looking for Carmen again... and this was his kismet.

Actually writing it.

He's slouched over a glowing keyboard. His fingers twitch, the rest of him lifeless. Drained.

...and so exhausted.

But there was no way out of this, he's already had one extension on account of internet lag. Player cringed; homeschooling was definitely harder than it used to be.

Before, (not that her presence should technically make a difference), he's usually been able to breeze through homework... she kept him going.

And... it didn't help that he was starting higher schooling without her support—not that he needed anyone's support! But... Carmen's didn't count as babying. She was just... always there for him.

Running away is easy,
It's the leaving that's hard.
Running away is easy...

Player drops his head on his desk and groans. Taking his hair in fistfuls as the assignment on one monitor and dead ends on the others glare at him.

...and right now Player's at his wits end.

Normally he'd find this task entertaining. Psychology wasn't better than geography, but it was something to him. To her.

She'd love to hear about it (so long as he didn't bring up the mental health unit on her).

His task— an age-old psychology debate we may never get the answer to, free will vs determinism.

Free will, the theory that we all have free will. Vs determinism, the theory that we have predetermined choices, free will is an illusion, and that none of the choices we make are real—we are governed by our experiences.

If he'd had this task around Black Sheep's time, he just knew she'd have jumped to Dr Bellum. (Bellum probably would have cloned her to find out).

Player stops... head on his desk, breaths heavy and empty. She could be with Dr Bellum now—being experimented on, made even more evil, lost even more of herself-

No.

Player shakes his head and feels his vision sway even when he's long since stopped. Player stares at his hands until the dizzy swaying of colours slows—his body pleading for hydration.

To some, the debate is horrifying, to others, maybe calming.

Because what's the point of determinism, if not to be assured of what you have done and what you will do? No matter what choice he makes, it will happen as it should.

It... it could be calming, to know that what happened isn't his fault—at least, not directly.

No matter if Carmen's kidnapped, dead, lost, everything would work as it should, right? It wasn't his choice.