Chapter 3: Lights Out!

EXT. LODGE. NIGHT

[The lodge, its windows lit up, looks invitingly warm against theforbidding backdrop of the vast forest. We can vaguely see thewomen enjoying themselves inside, the sound of their laughterand conversation fading on the breeze. We HOLD on this for amoment and then very slowly begin to TRACK IN on the window.]

Holly: [Holly sits outside trying to light up a cigarette] Come on, light, ya bastard!

Oliver: [notices Holly trying to light her cigarette then offers to help light it up] Here, let me lend a hand. So, have you ever done Boreham Caverns before?

Holly: [Shook her head then let out a laugh] I saw it in a book once. It's for tourists. It's not adventure. Might as wellhave handrails and a fucking gift shop. If you're a caver, jumper, swimmer, climber, you just do it and not give a shite. Or the thing that's bigger then you will get you.

Oliver: Yea, I hear you, loud and clear my friend. [Placed on her LED goggle glasses as he switched them on and pulled a silly face making Holly burst out laughing.]

Samantha: You want adventure Holly? When have I ever let you down? [Sam pulled Holly to one side] Holly, tomorrow's gonna be awesome. Okay? [Gives Holly the bottle of bourbon] Here, take this. You guys are going to need this.

INT. LODGE. SOME TIME LATER

[The gang are sitting around, relaxed. A large number of emptywine bottles. And empty tray of homemade food]

Katie: What happened to your best friend, Oliver, are youguys still working together? 

Oliver: Kind of, sort of. Different shifts... Oh My God... [He notices Charlotte walking in dressed like it was Christmas Eve]

Katie: Oh my Jesus! [Starts bursting with laughter and suddenly everyone joined in]

Charlotte: What do you guys think? Don't even say a fucking word. It was a Christmas present!

Katie: What about you Holly? Got a man or woman? 

Holly: Nah, I'm just like Samantha, you know, the sportfuck? 

Samantha: [started eating a marshmallow then looked a Holly with confusion] What?

Holly: Ashleigh too I think? [Starts laughing at Ashleigh as she made look offended] But when Iam an old lady maybe twenty-four ortwenty-five I want have lots of babies...

There is an awkward silence. Ashleigh gently squeezes Katie's hand. 

Holly: (cont'd)What? 

SARAH(calmly)I had a little sister. She died. About a year ago. I loved her like she was my own child.

Holly looks at her. 

Holly: Shit. Sam told me about your father but I didn't...No-one can think of anything to say. 

Samantha fills the silence: Sam: (to Katie)So did Rebecca and I ever tell you that we are going intobusiness together? We've already set up a company. 

Charlotte: A company? How very...conventional ofyou Sam. 

Ashleigh: It's a women-only outward-boundcentre. We're going to do trips allover the country - climbing, caving,skydiving, surfing...She stretches her impossibly long legs.

INT. LODGE. BEDROOM 3. NIGHT

[Charlotte and Alicia were fast asleep. Katie is in her bed awake, staring, glassy-eyed.]

EXT. LODGE. NIGHT.

[Oliver switches off the lights as he heads into the lodge bedroom shared with Harry, Viktor, Kurt and Zack. The wind whistles through the trees and the moon lights up thenight.]