_pointless_

What was he supposed to do?

Dave sat with his head in his hands, remembering the prior months leading up to this moment.

Lots of nothing. An empty neighborhood. Trailing it like he knew what he wanted. A lack of self. A strong memory of the past and hope in imagination. Disdain for himself - one that was unable to pinpoint.

A lack of Dirk. He'd gone off the deep end. So had Dave, but in a less obvious way.

Now he was getting his shit back together. He got to talk to Dirk without things being awkward, and he was proud. Dave liked feeling like Dirk cared. It reminded him of when he'd make Bro proud. But that was a long time ago, a long past Dave held onto for a few years of his self-isolated life.

Things were hard.

He knew of John, he'd gotten a girlfriend and fucked off somewhere, who knows. Ended up befriending Karkat and leaving him behind. He never thought it'd happen, but to be fair, he never thought that far ahead in the first place.

Did he really put all his cards into Bro? All his chips into his relationship with his guardian?

...and then doing the same thing with his "ecto" science version, Dirk?

Dave felt like he was in a never ending cycle with this fellow Strider. Doomed by the narrative would be an understatement.

'i miss you' he wrote, with a wrinkled nose and tears stinging at his eyes. Normally he wouldn't send it, but this time he gripped the page, walked to the apartments' door, and slipped it under. He gave a quick look before heading off. He'd never text Dirk that.

In fact, it just felt weird.