Chapter 7 - tour bus shenanigans

Everything after that kind of went by like a haze. 

Since it was never mentioned to her team that Gracie wanted to hire a new personal assistant five seconds prior to touring, this was a great surprise for everybody involved. In a matter of a couple of days, the Y/E/C-eyed girl learnt to memorise almost everything on paper there was to learn about Gracie. Her circle, her schedule, her likes and dislikes, her habits and whatnot. 

And now they were thrown on the road. In a tour bus. 

Y/N stayed holed up in her bunk. Her eyes closed as she tried to see if she could remember what she just read. "Are you sure you have no allergies or medicine or anything that would require emergency care?" she abruptly asked. 

Gracie was in the bunk across from her, staring at her as the girl was mumbling to herself the entire night. Initially, she was watching the TV above her little bed, but the nerves from being on the road again made it hard for her to focus on some silly show. Her new companion was a better distraction. Besides, the Y/E/C-eyed girl looked quite mesmerising like this, with her glasses perked up and a bundle of papers pressed to her face like a dork. "Not that I'm aware of," she answered, amused. "This is not an exam, you don't have to stress so much over it."

"One time I didn't know the kid I was babysitting was allergic to nuts. He ate an entire granola bar in front of me," Y/N deadpanned. "He didn't die, thank fucking god. But yeah, I got fired and the mum wanted to sue me..." Y/N finished the latter part of the sentence sheepishly, rubbing her nose. "But anyway, I'm just trying to not accidentally kill you or anything."

"Don't worry. Worst case scenario, if you accidentally unalived me, I'd just haunt you." Gracie chuckled. "I can add a tiny sentence in the contract that you got my heads up and won't have to suffer any legal consequences." 

Y/N rolled her eyes and threw her own TV remote at the singer. "You're so annoying sometimes."

Gracie caught the remote easily and grinned at her. "You're just too serious sometimes. I've got you, you know," she said softly.

"Shouldn't it be the other way around?"

"Works both ways."

Y/N turned to lie sideways, mirroring the older girl so that they were facing each other. Neither of them spoke up, they were just looking at each other, anticipating, challenging, teasing. Just like all their other staring contests where there was really no point in it at all, they just somehow keep falling back into it like two magnets. Even though there was a whole pathway separating their bunks, it felt like there was still not enough distance between them. The small stupid banter they also kept falling back into wasn't helping at all either. Y/N knew she was getting herself into deep shit with this, but... maybe this wasn't so bad. That being said, this probably wouldn't create the most ideal employee-boss environment either. She snapped herself out of it and climbed out of the bunk. "I'm gonna go for a smoke," she announced.

"We're on a bus right now," Gracie said, laughing. 

Y/N flushed red in the middle of the riding tour bus and quickly rushed in another direction. "Brush my teeth, I mean. Haven't done that yet." She was so amazing at making excuses sound convincing, she mentally facepalmed herself. 

About ten minutes later, she came back to see Gracie sitting in the front lounge. She thought about heading straight back to her bunk, using sleepiness as the new excuse this time. Halfway down the bus, she made a U-turn and plopped down next to the brunette. 

"Finished brushing your teeth, weirdo?"

"Mhmm."

Gracie gave her a pointed look. Y/N, on the contrary, looked at her innocently, making her roll her eyes. "Don't tell me you're scared of me," she confronted. The girl was literally running away from her, she couldn't have made it any more obvious.