3.5

In the beginning there weren't always George, Marion and Lando. First, it was only Marion and George. Growing up on the same street, the two met on the playground when the boy was six and the girl was only four.

One summer afternoon, Marion was playing in a sandbox when shadows fell over her. Looking up, she saw three boys that were always teasing her, their faces twisted in mischievous grins. Her heart sank as she recognized the trio of troublemakers that always seemed to find joy in tormenting her. She clenched her fists, prepared for another round of insults and taunts.

"Hey, Marion, what do you have there?" one of the boys asked, reaching out to grab the shiny toy she held in her hand.

She quickly pulled the toy back, clutching it tightly to her chest. She knew better than to trust these boys. "Leave me alone," she said, her voice trembling slightly.

The boys chuckled slightly among themselves, circling around her like vultures closing in on their prey. The ringleader of the group, a boy with a sneer permanently etched on his face, took a step closer. His hand reached out again, fingers curling greedily as if he could already feel it in his possession.

"Come on, Marion," he coaxed, voice dripping with false sweetness. "We just want to take a look. What's so special about that old thing anyway?"

Marion's eyes flashed with defiance as she held onto the toy, refusing to let it go. She knew that if she gave in now, it would only embolden the bullies to target her even more. Steeling her resolve, she straightened her back and glared at the instigator.

"It's mine, and you can't have it," Marion declared, her voice stronger this time. She backed away from the boys, keeping a firm grip on the precious toy that had been a gift from her late grandmother.

The disruptor's smirk widened, his eyes glinting with malice. Behind him, his two cronies snickered, egging him on. "Oh, come on, Marion," he cajoled, taking another step forward. "Don't be like that. Didn't your mommy teach you to share?"

Marion's jaw clenched as she felt a surge of frustration at the boy's words. She knew all too well the lessons her mother had taught her, but she also knew the difference between sharing and being taken advantage of. Clutching the toy tighter, she took a step back, her eyes darting around for any sign of help. And just when she thought she was out of options, a voice cut through the tension.

From around the corner of the playground strode a boy with a confidence that Marion had never seen before. His light hair was tousled by the wind, and his eyes blazed with determination. The three bullies stood back, unsure of this newcomer's intentions.

"What's going on here?" he demanded, standing tall in front of Marion protectively.

The leader of the group sneered at him. "None of your business, little boy. Why don't you go back to playing with your trucks?"

But the boy stood his ground, his eyes blazing with determination. "Leave her alone," he said firmly. "Or else."

The boys exchanged glances, sizing up this new challenger. They had never seen him before, and his sudden appearance was throwing them off their game. The ringleader took a step forward, puffing out his chest in an attempt to intimidate the boy, but the newcomer didn't flinch. Instead, he held Marion's gaze for a moment, silently reassuring her that he was there to help. With a nod from Marion, he took a step closer to the bullies.

"I said, leave her alone," he repeated, his voice steady and unwavering.

The provoker's face contorted with anger as he realized that he wasn't going to back down. In a last-ditch effort to save face in front of his friends, he lunged forward, trying to grab the toy from Marion's hands. But the new boy was quicker. With a swift movement, he intercepted the bully's hand and pushed him back.