Chapter 11: Reset

I shoot awake, quickly analyzing my surroundings, only to realize I was back in my room. It was early morning, judging from the sun. I let out a sigh of relief. If what I think happened happened, then everything that just occurred was RESET. At the very least, it bought us time. I checked my phone to see if my suspicions were correct, and they were. It was now about 2 and a half weeks before the incident, which would make this the morning after I had my first dream of the underground.

I wonder if Frisk and Chara remember. I really hope they do, I really don't want to explain this again, and Chara would probably kill me if she didn't know me.

I was slow with getting out of bed and ready for the day, taking the time to reflect back on what happened. I still had a lot of questions, but at least some others were answered. For example, I now know what my SOUL trait is. What it entails, I'm unsure, but I at least knew something.

My parents would have just left on a business trip, explaining why their car wasn't here. I wonder how they would react to all of this. How would I even explain it?

'Hey Mom, hey Dad, I'm glad you guys are back. While you were gone, I invited a ghost girl to live with us, and a skeleton monster wants my SOUL. By the way, I'm also an anomaly and one of a kind, aren't you proud?'

I smile a bit at my imaginary explanation as I walk out the door.

First up was Chara, as if I remember correctly, Frisk was busy with ambassador stuff this day. Besides, I wanted to see Chara again. Even if she didn't remember me, it'd put my mind at ease.

*

The climb up MT. Ebott was short, and when I reached the top, I hesitated before I jumped into the hole. If she didn't remember me, what do I say? Do I act like I did when we first met? I did make sure to grab some chocolate before I left.

Before I could continue contemplating, I tried to take a step back, but I tripped and fell forward. The world felt like it was in slow motion as I fell, but it sped up as the ground quickly approached. I tried to cover my face with my arms as I hit the ground, but it didn't do much. Everything immediately began to hurt, but I didn't black out like the first time.

As I pulled myself to my feet, I held my hand out in front of my chest, bringing out my SOUL. It was mostly the same as before, but instead of nothing in the middle, it was red. I must still have some leftover Determination.

"Chara?" I call out as I put my soul away and check to make sure nothing I had on me was broken.

"(Y/n)? You remember?" I hear a voice say before the owner appeared in front of me in an instant.

Chara looked fine. The cut on her arm from before was gone, as if it never happened. I grin, happy she was alright and happy she remembered me. "Course I do, who do you think RESET?" I ask, pulling the chocolate I brought with me before holding it out for her to take. She quickly snatched it and opened it. "That was you?!" She says in surprise. I nod in response and bring out my SOUL again. The red glow inside was fading, I guess it doesn't last forever. "I didn't want things to end like that. And I remembered what you said when I first fell, about not wanting to die." I say, putting my SOUL away.

"I honestly thought it was Frisk that did it. That's why I didn't come to you, I was scared you didn't remember. There were a few minutes after you... I thought you, the you I know, was gone for good, and Frisk really didn't take it well. Sans, either. He and Gaster were fighting when it happened." Chara explains, her mood dropping before she took a bite of the chocolate. I could infer what she meant when she paused, and I really didn't want to think about it.

"Well, everything is fine now. I bought us at least 2 weeks. Hopefully, more, but we'll be ready. Now we know what he wants, and I think I could RESET again if I needed to." I say, trying to reassure her some, but it seemed to have the opposite effect as she immediately got serious.

"You CAN NOT just RESET like that! Not again. You may not have noticed it yet, but every RESET has slight changes, ever so slightly details change. Even if you can't see them right away, you'll notice at some point." Chara practically yells. "I'm sorry for yelling, it's just, don't get used to being able to RESET. I can't go through that again." She continued quickly after.

"It's fine. You're right. I can't play God to get the best outcome. That's what Frisk did, isn't it? I promise you I won't RESET unless it is absolutely necessary." I respond, giving a smile. She smiled back and floated closer to me. "Let's head home. I can take us on a shortcut." Chara says, holding her hand out.

My smile grew a little wider as I took her hand. We've made a lot of progress from her threatening to kill me. I'm happy she can see my home as hers.

As soon as I took her hand, we appeared in the living room of my house. Chara went back to eating her chocolate, and I went about finding something proper for lunch, as it was about that time.

*

Later on, we sat next to each other on the couch as some random show was playing. I was scrolling through my phone as Chara was watching the show. It was nice, just sitting here. It felt as if everything was right in the world.

Of course, it had to be ruined by a knock at the door.

Chara disappeared in an instant after a split second of being startled. I'm curious if it was on purpose or if it startled her into using her powers on instinct. Either way, I got up and went to the door to see who was there. I opened it and couldn't say I was enthused by the sight.

My parents were home.

*

(Sorry it's a bit short. I mainly wanted to get this timeline off to a start. I'll be publishing slower for a little while. Hope you enjoyed, and feedback is always welcome!)