13. Little Big Sleepover

Isabella ran to her room, her eyes welling up with tears, leaving you and Max bewildered

Isabella ran to her room, her eyes welling up with tears, leaving you and Max bewildered. With widened eyes, you glanced at Max, wondering where you went wrong.

You had simply told her, with what you thought was proper precautions, that you and Max were together. Isabella looked between you and Max for a single second before shaking her head and leaving the room.

You didn't think twice before following her, finding her cuddling her second favourite teddy bear as tears stained her cheeks. "Oh, angel" you muttered as you sat beside her on her bed.

"Talk to me, sweetheart, do you not like Max?" you prompted. Isabella glanced up at you for a moment. Unbeknownst to you, she did it to check if you were upset with her before she could form a response but once she only saw comfort, she opened up about the situation.

"He's a good friend," she started and you nodded along but remained silent. "But will you still love me if you like him?" Hearing her words, your heart broke. You wanted to know what prompted her to ask such a serious question, but you focused on addressing it first.

"I have loved you from the day you were born," you began, deciding to hold back on sharing the information that you even loved her while you were pregnant, mainly because you didn't want to start a new set of questions relating to pregnancy just yet. "I love you, Isabella, and my relationship with Max won't ever change that." 

Isabella decided that the comfort she received from the teddy bear wasn't enough, so she gently placed it to the side before crawling up into your lap. "Are you still going to spend time with me? Because daddy stopped doing that."

Her question helped you see where her unease of your relationship with Max came from. "Daddy was busy with work, it wasn't because of a relationship, Bella." You didn't want her to believe Emma was the source of the problem, even if she had broken up with Tyler.

Isabella's mouth dropped open, slowly understanding the situation but then she pouted, "daddy's always busy with work."

"He's trying his best," you didn't want to influence a negative father-daughter relationship between them with your words, even though you wanted to agree with her. Plus you hoped that Tyler would clean up his act and become a present father. However, lately that hope has started to die down.

"It's okay, Maxy spends time with me," Isabella added and you faintly smiled at the slight positive turn the conversation took. "Yes he does, did you know he's inviting us to the next race?"

That sparked a happier reaction out of your daughter, "really?" You nodded, "yeah, do you want to go?" While she was buzzing with excitement at the idea of going to another race, you also noticed her hesitation to give you an answer. "You don't have to tell me now, think about it okay?"