9 | Just a fish

"He slowly moved on the General, preparing his knife, ready to grab his throat and drive the knife deep into his heart. Suddenly white hot pain exploded through his hand as a gunshot rang out, his gun having been shot out of his grasp!"

Jack gasps softly and leans further into Mary-Beth, reading along to her voice with wide eyes.

"His feet were kicked out from under him and a Schofield Revolver was pointed in his face. 'Jim Boy Calloway. What are you doing wearing that Deputy badge?' The man holding the revolver scoffed."

"Jack, whatcchu up to?" Arthur suddenly asks from above the two, nestled in the grass.

"Mary-Beth's reading the book you got me!" He chirps excitedly, suddenly grabbing the Penny Dreadful book and holding it up for Arthur to see, arms out stretched.

"You liking it?" Arthur asks, not acknowledging Mary-Beth.

"I love it uncle Arthur." Jack says, studying the cover thoughtfully. He jerks his head back up again. "Did you know Arthur got this for me?" He beams at Mary-Beth who shakes her head.

"No, I didn't. Ain't that nice." She says with a smile. It was a nice thing to do but her praise isn't for Arthur, it's simply to encourage Jacks chubby faced grin.

"Has Arthur ever given you a gift?" He cocks his head to the side, listening with utmost interest.

"He has actually. A fancy steel pen." Mary-Beth glances without meaning to at Arthur, who is glancing back. She quickly looks away.

"Wow." Jack breathes, as if it's the most incredible thing he's ever heard.

"Jack," Arthur continues. "Your momma thinks we should go fishing, just the two of us." He glances surreptitiously at Mary-Beth again.

"Fishing?" Jacks asks.

"Sure. You're... it's about time that you started to earn your keep."

"Okay. But only if Mary-Beth comes." Jack seems to be at the stage where he's testing out what exactly he can get people to do for him.

Mary-Beth and Arthur both make hesitant noises at the same time.

"I- I ain't sure Jack, I'm sure Mary-Beth has got lots to do."

"Uh yes... I have a lot do sorry Jack."

Jacks expression drops. "But I thought you said Miss Grimshaw said you can take the afternoon off."

This is true. It was a very rare thing to happen and Mary-Beth was ecstatic, now, she wishes it had happened another day.

"Oh well..." Jack had caught her out.

"Please Mary-Beth." He pleads. "You can learn how to fish with me! Especially if you have nothing else to do..." He shrugs comically.

Mary-Beth and Arthur share a look, this time not accidental. Mary-Beth searches his expression for a hint to whether or not he would care if she comes but his face is blank.

Mary-Beth would rather do anything than come, she would return to work happily, but Jacks hopeful face is too hard to reject.

"Oh sure, what the heck, let's go fishing!" She gets up and reaches down for Jacks hand who takes it eagerly.

Arthur gives Mary-Beth another brief look, still impossible to read. He brings his eyes back to Jack.

"Let's go get your pole then Jack. Now you do have a fishing pole, don't you?"