SIP: ✨One✨

(Also, SIP = Study In Pink.)
⚠️Descriptive images of people killing themselves.⚠️

October 12.

   Sir Jeffery strode across the crowded railway station, talking into a mobile phone, with effort, since the crowds were loud and discordant.

   "What'd'you mean, there's no ruddy car?" he asked his secretary, on the other end of the phone.

   The secretary, named Helen, shook her head. "He went to Waterloo, I'm sorry. Get a cab."

   "I never get cabs."

   Helen paused, looked around the office as if making sure nobody was within earshot, then said quietly into the phone, "I love you."

   Jeffery smirked. "When?" he asked suggestively.

   "Get a cab!" Helen said, giggling.

   He hung up, smiling, then put his phone back in his pocket and stared around for a cab rank.

-

   Sir Jeffery sat on the floor beside a large window in a small, empty office, many stories high. He stared at the glass bottle of pills before him, his eyes wide and tear-filled, then picked it up.

   Slowly, he unscrewed the lid, tipped a pill out onto his hand. It was quite soft, and white, with red speckles.

   His breathing grew heavier and his heart pounded faster as he lifted the pill to his mouth, gazing, unblinking, ahead of him. He touched it to his lips, shaking.

   So this was it.

   He was going to die.

-

   Margaret Thatcher stared down at the paper she held slightly above the table, trembling slightly, tears welling thickly in her eyes. "My husband was... a happy man. Who lived life to the full."

Cameras flashed in her face as she spoke, but she was too distraught to look away, and too professional to look away.

"He loved his family... and his work," she continued. "And that he should have taken his own life in this way is a mystery and a shock to all who knew him."

From the back of the room, Helen, the secretary, looked down at the floor, squeezing her eyes shut as tears streamed down her face.

~~~

November 26

Gary held the soaked umbrella over his head, his friend Jimmy walking beside him, unsheltered from the pouring rain except for his jacket over his head. Gary was fighting with the umbrella, the strong winds trying to rip it away from him, and Jimmy kept chuckling softly at him.

The sound of wheels against pavement drew nearer to them, and the teenager lacking rain cover gave a shout. It was a black taxi, the sign lit yellow.

Jimmy hopped to the edge of the sidewalk, calling out for it and waving his hands. It drove right past, water skidding up from beneath the tires, and he let out an exasperated sound.

"Here, I'll be back in two minutes, mate," he said, starting to turn around and leave in the direction they just came.

"What?"

"Just goin' home; get my mum's umbrella." He started walking away.

Gary stared after him. "You can share mine!" he called out, slightly annoyed.

"Two minutes, alright?" Jimmy gave a little chuckle, then broke into a run down the sidewalk, in the opposite direction of their destination.

Gary gave a little sigh and began to keep a mental timer of how long his friend had been gone. He watched Jimmy disappear into the thick rain, then leaned against the fence. Water poured down around him.