Dinner?!

< PRESENT TIME >

       I applied the last bit of lip gloss before heading out of my office, I always make sure to look my best before leaving, you never know who you might run into. 

       I made sure to grab the new issue of Corpo for this month off my desk which I assume my assistant dropped off for me, and skimmed through the magazine while heading for the elevator. This issue might just be my best work yet! This one has 2 pages dedicated to me, since I am the creative designer here, and have been for the past 5 months. I'm the youngest one ever in Corpo history, so that puts a lot of pressure on my shoulders, but thats just the way I like it. What's life without a challenge?

     Corpo is the most popular and well known fashion magazine in the world, and is and always will be the perfect place for me, the only place where I truly feel in my element. Unfortunately, we recently built a new office near Hartford, so that means my parents are expecting to see me EVERY single week. If it were up to them it would probably be every day, but I can only handle those two so much. 

     I walk into the garage part of the building, and find my car, my most priced possession, after my clothes of course! It was a gift from my boyfriend Josh Chanler, its a navy blue convertible spotlight.    

    I tried calling my boyfriend Josh, but he wouldn't answer. He never does. In the beginning of our relationship we were THE couple, Sparks flying everywhere, everyone wished to either be us or be with us. Now the sparks have faded but we are still known as the celebrity couple. We both know it's an act, I just don't know what happened. I don't remember ever doing anything wrong, he was amazing, until he wasn't. He was so caring, a little protective, and so loving. Now, I count myself lucky if I see him once a week, and thats almost only when we have to attend some party, to keep up our image. Josh is known as THE business man, and I'm THE fashion icon here in Hartford, so obviously we would make the perfect couple. I've seen websites and articles about us, rumouring when I would become Mrs. Josh Chanler. My parents absolutely adore us together, I don't know what would happen if I ever told them what wer'e like behind closed doors, god forbid we ever break up. I just wish I could feel the rush again, the constant electric need to be with someone. 

     I pull up into the round driveway of my parents mansion, and touch up my makeup before going inside, I do NOT need my mother nagging at my appearance right now. 

   I ring the doorbell, I have a key, but I would rather not walk in on something I don't want to see.

Always stay in your lane Nina, nobody needs you intervening 

  "Oh hello darling, how are you?" My mother answers the door, perkier than her usual self.

      I let myself in and hand the coat to the new maid, she looks very scared, I guess Emily has run out of good maid options.

"Hi mom, how are you today?"

    "Oh I am feeling so very lovely today, I have some very exciting news! Come on in to the living room, do you want something to drink?" She says while rushing me into the sofa

" Well I guess I'll have a martini " (my usual drink)

  "guess who stoped by today?" she says while handing the drink to me

     "ummm, My great aunt clau-"

"-Your sister Lorelei!" My mom cuts me off. 

   I choke on my drink, this has to be some kind of sick joke right? "What? Your'e joking right? I haven't heard from her in like 7 years! , its not Christmas yet right?" I would've seen her earlier, but I've missed the past christmas parties because of business trips and being with Josh and his family. 

"NO! ahahaha you are TOO funny Nina, we have decided that her and Rory will come to dinner to join us every Friday night from now on! So I was wondering..."

   "If I would come too?"

"yes! Wouldn't that be wonderful, the whole family, altogether again!" I haven't seen my mother this happy since Josh and I became official.

"Mom, that sounds great, but you know I don't do well with children, there so... gross" I say disgusted but apologetically

"Nina, Rory is not a child, she's 15!"

I choked on my drink for the second time. "wait what? I didn't know they grew so fast!". I've never done well with children and babies, thinking and looking at them for too long make me a little nauseous. When I saw Lorelei's kid at the hospital, I had to run to the bathroom, it was so red and slimy, and not moving. That is the one thing I Can never do, look after children, no. thank. you. 

    "oh my goodness Nina, what is it with you and children, pretty soon you and Josh may have some of your own! after marriage of course. Speaking of Josh, where is he? I hardly ever see him! You know what! He should come to friday night dinners as well! Wouldn't that be amazing! I think that if..." And I zoned out the rest of that.