Chapter 1

The first time I saw him, I really wanted to kill him. Unfortunately for me though, it wasn't his time yet, far from it actually. He was twenty-nine and due to live until he was ninety-three, quite old for a human. Of course, I'd been around since the dawn of time and sixty-four years was about a blink of an eye for me (well, if I had eyes that is), but still! I knew these next sixty-four years would be agonizingly long, especially if Mother Time played another trick on me.
I saw him first when I was in a nursing home in a place the humans called "Arizona," but I still knew as the middle left corner of Pangea. Mother Time says I really should get with the times, but what can I say? I was an old-fashioned entity. Anyways, he was a nurse for this retirement home know as "Resting Willow." I saw him when I was picking up a soul known as Louis Terrill after he had suffered his third and final heart attack. This beautiful human nurse, known as Andre Wright, tried and failed to fight against my grasp. Though no life could truly beat or escape me, I found it kind of cute how hard humans tried sometimes, so every now and again, I let them win a battle or two, but I always won the war. Louis Terril was ready to go, though. He greeted me politely and told me that he was rather tired of being trapped in his ailing body. I tucked his soul in the folds of my cloak, letting him join his friends and family that all were taken by me much sooner than he was. I felt his soul jiggle with happiness, gave me that nice warm buzz.
Although Andre was physically beautiful with his midnight eyes and square jaw and smooth dark skin. I fell in love with his soul. I could see everyone's souls, hence how I knew when everyone was supposed to die. His soul was a bright purple color, with a golden center. Some of the purple aura was spotted with holes with suffering, as most of the souls I collected were. But what made his soul particularly remarkable and gorgeous, was the way his golden center shown through with such brightness that the holes where completely filled with its light. At first sight, I knew that I was a goner.
Unlike most of the other staff at this retirement home, Andre tried desperately to take Louis's soul away from me, trying to jumpstart the man's heart with his hands. I could see no familial or friendship ties between this man once known as Louis and Andre, which made it all the stranger that he was trying to fight me with such ferocity.
"Death, you cannot have this man," Andre whispered under his breath.
And I giggled. How cute.
I wanted to stay longer, but I had millions more souls to collect as per usual, so I left my pretty little soul to curse at me by himself.