The Commission From The Lord Of Death

Crimson droplets of rain poured down on the streets of an isolated village within the outskirts of Japan. The soft din of foot-steps reverberated throughout the humid air of the alienated sector.

Naruto Uzumaki had a kasa-styled hat planted on the top of his head. His sapphire-hued eyes scanned the civilians of the secluded village and he noticed how stiff and unnatural they presented themselves.

He clicked his tongue to himself when he discerned the mutilated corpse of a village boy. The tan face of the child was covered in multiple lacerations and his legs were chopped off to the knees.

Naruto channelled a small amount of chakra into his hand. A blue-hued sphere in the form of a ginormous shuriken materialized at the top of his calloused palm. Naruto flicked it down onto the ground.

The Rasenshuriken produced a shrill sound of destruction as it destroyed the village from the inside out. Naruto heard the strangled screams of the lifeless spirits float into his tympanums. He sighed.

These villagers had been killed and replaced by a multitudinous number of Goryo and Onryo — vengeful spirits in Japanese folklore. Naruto blinked his luminous eyes and the village began to vanish.

The spirits had created some type of illusion to replicate the village they had plundered and destroyed. Naruto mourned the countless lives lost in this incident until a gruff baritone echoed in his head.

"You're wasting time." Kurama grunted. "Mourning these people won't resurrect them."

"True..." Naruto crossed his arms and his azure-accentuated gaze flickered up to the endless depths of the night-sky. "I still feel bad..."

"You would, wouldn't you?" The Kyuubi had a sardonic smirk painted across his features. "Cheer up. You exterminated all of those spirits and avenged the people murdered and replaced by them."

Naruto lowered his iridescent gaze down to the ground and smiled at the acerbic sincerity lurking in the pits of his partner's words. A low hum of sound alerted him to the presence of a surviving spirit.

A Goryo stalked towards him in a garbled gait. Its scarred face was blemished by dried-up blood. The spirit had its head tilted at an inhuman angle. Naruto stepped one foot back and his body blurred.

The Uzumaki produced a Kunai from his sleeve and cleaved through the skull of the spirit. It stumbled onto its two knees and groaned for a second time. Naruto summoned another blue-coloured orb.

His Rasengan flicked itself into the sternum of the Goryo. The vengeful phantom crumbled into flecks of obsidian-tinted energy. Naruto grinned. "Now I've exterminated them all."

Naruto adjusted his kasa-styled hat and bequeathed the village another gander. His form was nothing more than a distorted outline as he rushed through the multifarious roads of the country.

(-)

Naruto landed on the top of the railings to his apartment-complex. He leaned his head back and stared at the beautiful constellations scattered across the ebony-tinged shards of the firmament.

The Uzumaki hearkened to the air for a meagre second and detected the presence of his best friend. Sasuke Uchiha smirked and tapped the sanguine-tinted metal of his scabbard. "Did you complete-...?"

"I completed your assignment." Naruto gave Sasuke a casual grin. "I was ambushed by one of those Gonryo ghosts."

"It's pronounced Goryo, dumbass."