Chapter One

Hey readers! Welcome to chapter one of my first book, 'The Hunt'! I hope you all enjoy what's written so far.. I'm still not done with this chapter but I should wrap it up within the next few days!
~~~~~~~~~~

The soft grass makes a light noise
as I walk my way over to the big tree
that rests next to my family's home.
I had my fairytale book in clutch.
The ground is moist but that doesn't stop me
from sitting under the large tree.
A soft breeze whistles through the air brushing small strands of hair into my face.
My favorite time was nighttime.
The only sound to be heard was bugs
and wild life. No worrying about people bothering you.
You can be alone and at peace.
Tonight was different.
My skin was slightly glistening in the moonlight due to sweat.
I have my book opened in the middle continuing from my last read.
The sweat on my fingertips starts seeping into the pages and out of agervation I slam the book shut.
I let out a deep breath.
The mating ceremony is tomorrow night.
To say i'm scared is an understatement... I'm terrified.
I have never been in a relationship or had my first kiss. I expect my mate to be among the betas. My father is a beta so my family is held at a higher standard than others.
If I were to get anything less I could be looked down upon.
That's the risk.
I'm terrified I'll be mated to someone less than. My family will be ashamed.
My brothers mate is the daughter of our neighbors pack beta.
He is praised among our pack.
My specialty is fighting, I am the next commander of our people. I expect nothing less for my mate.
As I stand up and make my way back to my family's home I can hear the fae creatures speaking to one another in their homes in the tree trunks.
Their body light making the trees look iridescent.
Glowing stones lead my way to the back door which leads to the kitchen where the lights are out and I break the silence by opening the door.
Sneakily tip toeing into the house I make my way to my room where I put my book back on its shelf and tuck my self in.

One more night alone...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The smell of cooking meat bursts me from sleep and I sit up and immediately get dressed.

Today's the mating ceremony.

I slip on my pink fluffy slippers, tie my hair into a messy bun, pop on my glasses, and head downstairs where my little brother is setting the kitchen table, my mother is finishing cooking eggs on the stove and my father is at the table on his phone.

"Good morning! It smells good in here."
I say as I fix my plate with toast, eggs, sausage, and grits.

"How did you sleep?" My mom asks as she sets the rest of the eggs on the table and sits in her chair to fix her plate.

My little brother does the same.

"Good...what time do I leave for the ceremony tonight?..." I ask my mom.

"Around 6."

"Do I come home after?" I ask her.

"No, You stay the night in the woods until your mate hunts you down. When he finds you he will claim you. That normally means mate.." my mom tells me.

I gulp my milk and look over to my brother who is giggling picking at his food.
"Eat right!" I smack his hand.

"You should bring a weapon." My dad says.
"The ceremonies have been deemed illegal to the vampire community. If they decide to hunt tonight as well, you might be in more trouble than you think."