Hollow

Vacation.

A word most people would find thrilling and relaxing - Elaine always thought of it as a headache. Having to pack her whole closet in one travel bag was not on her agenda this year. or any year, actually.

Family bonding time, her mother constantly reminds them, as if they had a choice to stay home. They don't, and Elaine never really complains except for the packing and travelling part. Which was half of the vacation fun, her father claims.

Elaine found herself rummaging through her essentials drawer the second time that day, checking if she forgot anything. She never had to make a new 'list of things she needs' every summer, only adding things as she got older, because they went to the same place every year to 'keep the tradition going'.

Is it really a tradition if you started it about 5 years ago? Perhaps. Well, every tradition needs to have a starting point anyway.

They always visited and stayed at the same coastal city, 2 hours away from their home. Some may think you may get bored of visiting the same place every year but Elaine's parents has found some sort of comfort there. Elaine is always bored there, except the times she meets her only friend living there. Her only friend in the world, honestly.

"El, your mum's waiting for us in the car," Her father's voice travelled through the house.

"Coming, dad!" Elaine calls back, quickly stuffing her lip oil in the front pocket of her travel bag. She rushed her way towards the front door and wears her brown shoes, making sure to grab her slippers for the beach.

She sets her bag and herself at the backseat of their car. Her mother is already seated on the driver's seat, marking a location on her phone and setting it down.

"Everyone ready?" Her mum asks. Elaine and her dad give a thumbs up and the car engine starts, "Alright, let the Anderson's holiday start!"

And with that they set off while Elaine prayed for a good time there.

----------------------------------

The car rolled up in an unfamiliar garage. Elaine got off and examined the area.

It smelled musty. Although everything was neatly placed and was cleaner than their own garage back home.

The oil tanks in the right corner, placed as if someone had played Tetris with them. Beside that, a tool kit was placed on top of two tires, which were the exact same size as their car tires.

They weren't staying at their usual place.

They always stay at the house at the end of the street away from the convenient store at the other end.

Elaine didn't know why, but she was starting to feel paranoid. She hated changes, especially changes in living in a town where people prefer mustard over ketchup. God knows how she will attend university across the state.

As if sensing Elaine's upcoming interrogation, her mother beats her to it, "Someone's staying at the place we usually stay. But that's all fine! We should always explore more things, right?"

The daughter huffed before dragging her bag out of their car. She did not, per say, love that house, but she had just gotten adjusted into her temporary room there.

"Giddy up, El. You're gonna love this house way more."

She doubts she would.