3 - Broken Bond

Chapter 3.

Broken Bond - Striking Where it Hurts the Most

The mood became flat, but we settled down to start creating something anyway. I loved it when we got together like this to make new songs. Usually the best songs came out of some stupid shit.

And so things began. Calum just picked up his guitar and had a go at it.

"Oh, how I wish I had a sexy chick," Michael sang. The others laughed and I smiled. This was going to be fun again. "Oh, I want to get laid, ooh," Mike continued. Ashton and Calum laughed even harder, and I rolled my eyes but smiled anyway as I watched Mike, who was totally into the 'song'. "Oh, how I wish I had a sexpot like Brooke," he sang with full abandon.

"Fuck," I muttered.

The guys were almost crying with laughter, Calum stopped playing guitar, he couldn't take it, and Michael kept going on with his song. I don't need to go into the details.

"I can't believe it," I nervously ran my hand through my hair. Anger surged through my body and was finally about to erupt from my mouth. They knew exactly how much I hated this.

"Why? Brooke's a sex goddess, admit it," Mike looked at me, still very amused.

"Yeah, she sounded pretty much like one on the last tour," Ash interjected. He was trying to be serious, but I could tell he was about to laugh.

"What?" I asked, completely outraged.

"Don't deny it, we heard you," Mike grinned at me. "Ah, come on Luke, that's it, ah yeah, I can see the light now, ooh yeah!"

"Do you guys really think our relationship is just about having sex?!" I was starting to lose control. Anger was taking over. It wasn't the first time they'd joked about it.

"Well, that's what it sounded like at the time," Michael snapped. "Ah, Brooke, fuck, Lukey," he went on, and by this point I had had enough. But instead of shouting at them or whatever, beating them up, my anger suddenly turned to sadness.

"I can't believe it," my voice trailed off. The guys looked at me a little surprised. "You guys really think like that? A girl is only good for fucking, or what?  You think that's all I use her for? What about the almost three years we have behind us?" I asked in disappointment, and the moment I choked back a sob, the guys knew they had overstepped the mark.

"Luke, we didn't-" Michael began, but I didn't let him finish.

"No, don't say anything! You have no idea what it's like to really love someone," I lowered my voice. "Do you guys really see us like that? Is that what you think our relationship is worth?" I asked incredulously, but before either of them could answer, I shook my head and headed towards the door.

"Come on, Luke!" Ashton shouted after me, but I didn't turn around. "Dude, come back, man, c'mon!" I could still hear, but I didn't care.

I ran down the stairs and out the door, and got in the car. My anger was almost completely replaced by disappointment. I honestly wanted to cry.

I was fine with dirty jokes. But this was different. Is this really how much they would see in our relationship? We're not horny teenagers anymore, and it's okay that they're single, but do they really have no idea what it's like to truly love someone? Maybe they were joking and maybe I was the one who overreacted. But it hurt. Whether they meant it or not, it hurt to hear that they had seen so much of a relationship that had lasted almost three years.

C A L U M

After Luke left, we sat in silence. I was desperately scratching my head between Ash and Mike.