Chapter 2 - Chase of Cat and Dog

Ralph fiddled with the keys in his palm. He ran the grooves along his fingers, examining the key. It was assigned to room 12, his dorm room. His dorm room that he would be sharing with three others. He'd been thinking about it the entire day. Who would he room with? He prayed that it wouldn't be any of the Hunters—or Piggy for that matter. He already had to put up with him for half of his life, he couldn't imagine having to bunk with him as well, especially in the place that was supposed to be Ralph's escape. At that point, he couldn't tell which option for a roommate would be worse: Jack or Piggy. He hoped he wouldn't have to find out.

His day was as normal as it could've been. He had 6 classes a day and a home room, like a normal high school. He shared few classes with the Hunters, and his home room with Simon, but other than that, just a normal school day. He had almost forgotten that this wasn't his regular school, until seeing the Hunters—or even just hearing them being mentioned—immediately snapped him out of it.

He sighed. At least he'd finally get a break from all that drama in his room. Unless, like he had worried, he was rooming with the Hunters. He shook his head and let out a breath he didn't know he was holding. There was only one way to find out.

As he walked down the dormitory hallway, he heard the meaningless chatter of the other boys. All overlapping, but he could make a few out

"Did you hear the is a girls' school nearby? I want to..."

"This place smells like Sauerkraut!"

"If I had a chance, I would join the war right now! I'm strong enough."

Ralph looked the direction of the boasting boy. He was barely five feet. He would die the first day on the field.

As he giggled to himself, he unknowingly ran straight into Roger, knocking against him. Shit.

"Fuck-" Roger had grimaced. Ralph had quickly flashed him a glance—it turned out he left the smaller boy severely bruised earlier that day. He must've bumped into one of his bruises.

"Watch where you're going, dweeb." Roger had said with a shove, before his eyes squinted. Ralph began to sweat bullets.

"Hey.. aren't you that Ralph boy from earlier today?" He quietly muttered, eyebrows furrowing as he began to walk closer.

Ralph snapped back in alarm, before scanning his area. His eyes landed on Room 12–his room. If he was quick, maybe he'd be able to escape Roger. Hopefully he wasn't the unluckiest person in the world and didn't share the room with him.

"I... uh..." Ralph nervously muttered, putting his hands up in defense as he walked backwards. "Bye!" He quickly shouted, sprinting for his door.

"Hey! Get the fuck over here!" He heard Roger yell, but he was too busy bolting for his room. As he screeched to a halt, he took the key from his shaking hand and shoved it into the doorknob. He twisted it, heard a click, and swiftly opened the door, slamming it behind it as his chest rose and fell, catching his breath. Ralph looked out a crusty window. His head turned to the rest of the room. Simon stared directly at him, his eyes not discerning any emotions Ralph could decipher.

"Heh. Hi-again", Ralph muttered with his back turned to lean against the door. He toyed with the slammed door. "Shit. I'm sorry it."

Simon got up without a word and walked over.

"That is locked."

Ralph's brain swarmed with ringing. He was inches away from Simon, each other's breath hitting one another's chest. Ralph found refuge in Simon's eyes. The moment was destroyed by loud banging.

Ralph jumped, his head snapping towards the dorm's window. He peered through the curtains, squinting. Shit. Roger followed him to the dorm.

Another round of banging erupted from the door. "I know you're in there, prude. Open the door!"

Suddenly, there was silence. Ralph's eyebrows furrowed. That was weird. What could have possibly stopped Roger in his effort in practically breaking down the dorm's door? Curiosity overcame him, and he quietly snuck to the small window next to the door, and peeked through the curtain.

Behind Roger, there seemed to be a double headed figure, the body practically appearing conjoined behind the feeble boy's frame. A hand tightly gripped the shoulder of Roger.

"We need to get in," the heads said in unison.

Roger began to break out in a sweat. He nervously stepped away from the door, and mumbled, "Okay you fucking freaks. Just don't touch me!" He then quickly walked down the dorm, practically running to get away from the identical boys.

Ralph turned back to Simon, confused. "Who are they?" he questioned.

"Oh, them?" Simon said with a shrug. "That's Sam and Eric, our roommates."