Successful Studies

Chapter 9: Successful Studies 

When Lucy had said goodbye to Dean later that day, she walked slowly up to Defense Against the Dark Arts. She swore to her great ancestor that the stairs up to that classroom would be the death of her. If Zuc didn't hurry up the stairs just might kill her first. She smiled a little imagining Zuc's disappointment when he found Lucy dead on a set of stairs meaning he'd never be able to kill his worst enemy. 

"Oh good golly, Kingston! What a pity!" Lucy muttered impersonating Zuc under her breath causing her smile to grow wider. If anyone saw her right now they would really believe the papers in that she was mental. 

Lucy opened the door to the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom and picked up Angus as he trotted over to her. She held him close and stroked his fur, Snape hated Angus but she didn't care. Angus, in her mind, was the greatest cat in the world. 

"Oh, Angus, you really do like to go for a wander, don't you? Didn't dad keep you up in his quarters? Or did you escape again?" Lucy asked as she climbed up more steps to get to Snape's private quarters. She reached into her bag and pulled out a set of keys. "Maybe next time you won't wander around a castle and you'll keep yourself safe, OK?" 

Lucy slotted the key into the lock of the door and twisted it until she heard a faint click, letting her know that her key had granted her access to the other side of the door. She pressed down on the door handle and opened the door. She then placed Angus down and walked inside herself after locking the door behind her.

"Dad, I'm back!" Lucy called as she dumped her bag down on the floor and slipped off her robe and placed that too on the floor. She then proceeded to walk towards her room which was next door to Snape's. But then she had to wonder...where was Snape?

Usually he'd pounce on her the second she arrived and demand how her day was — well, not demand this was Snape we're talking about and not the outgoing Dean Cousins. He'd just always be there.

"Dad?" Lucy called looking all over his quarters, even walking into Snape's room to see if he was there but he was nowhere to be found. "Oh how on Earth could I misplace my father?" Lucy muttered, thinking out loud as usual.

In a moment of madness Lucy slipped her robe back on and exited Snape's quarters, ran through the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom, leapt down the stairs and ran through the castle. She hated when Snape left her unexpectedly she felt so lost without him.

"Dad!" Lucy called as she ran. "Dad!" 

"Oi! Keep it down, you ungrateful child!" One of the portraits hissed as she ran by. 

"Sorry!" Lucy cringed, turning around to face the portrait briefly before running off again. "DAD!" 

After a while Lucy was getting tired of her own voice and was beginning to get tired, running around the whole of Hogwarts was a sport she did not wish to pursue any longer. She slumped towards the last place left and then climbed the stairs to the Hidden room. 

Lucy shoved open the door with some of her remaining energy and then found Snape sitting there on a chair. His sleeve was up and he was admiring something on his forearm. Lucy stepped forward but Snape hadn't noticed her as he was too busy wincing in pain. 

"Dad," Lucy said finally. It was as though Snape had suddenly been electrocuted as he leapt up and rolled down his sleeve as fast as he could. "It's OK...I know you're a death eater you told me, remember? It was in first year." 

"Yes, of course..." Snape bowed his head in shame; how could he be so stupid? "I honestly forgot about that." 

"So what's wrong with your dark mark?"