Shirley Shi (Demigod)

Shirley's PoV

Hi, I'm Shirley. I go to Goode High School, and I'm a loner. The kids at school all think that I'm a "freak" because I'm Chinese, look Chinese and can speak Chinese. They're so stupid, though, and I know that they are just not exposed to diverse cultures.

My best friend is Nico di Angelo. We're sort of the two loners of the school, and we used to be wary of each other until we found out that we had a lot in common. Some of the girls in the school secretly (not so subtly) think that he's oh so hot, but he's like the brother I never had. Ha, those girls don't stand a chance. I had caught Nico FaceTiming his boyfriend at school, and teh look on his face was absolutely hilarious.

I think one of the reasons that we get along so well was because we could accept each other for who we are. I like singing and drawing, but also have a dark sense of humor. Nico doesn't like drawing, but I have heard him sing when he thought that nobody heard, and he does have a dark sense of humor as well.

I was pulled out of my thoughts when Kelli, our Greek teacher, told me to stay behind.

Suddenly, her fingers elongated into claws, one of her legs turned into a matted donkey's leg, and another melted into metal. She bared her teeth, and I could see fangs. She leapt at me at a wicked speed, and... I dodged, barely. She slashed at one of my arms, and thick droplets of blood started falling, the skin around it burning white-hot.

Suddenly, the monster's face turned into a shocked grimace. Nico stood behind where she used to be, looking into my eyes intensely.

"We need to get you to camp now."

"What camp?"

"Listen, do you want to die?"

"I find that option quite entertaining." I replied sarcastically, but Nico grabbed me and ran to a shadowed corner. Before I had time to protest, we melted into the shadows. The ride was exhilarating; cold and dark. In a moment, we had arrived in a grove.

Nico marched out, grabbing my hand. He led me to a centaur- okay, this day is getting weirder and weirder.

"Chiron, new camper. Unclaimed. Maybe my sister."

Chiron looked over me thoughtfully. I was a bit nervous, so I grasped at something to say. "Don't get me wrong, I love you like a brother, but how exactly are we supposed to be related? As far as I know, I'm full Chinese, and you're full Italian."

Chiron raised his eyebrows. "Come, child, we will watch the orientation film together."

I left the Big House in a daze about an hour later. I was a demigod? My father was a god? I could message people using coins?

With that thought in mind, I ran to the lake, grabbed a large golden coin from a nearby camper, and called my mom to tell her where I was. 

She smiled as if she had expected this all along, and said, "Don't make me repeat this, but, I love you and I'm proud of you."

I was speechless. My mom was a tiger mom who would never say that to me. "Mom, have you been abducted by aliens?"

"Is that sarcasm that I heard? Good, there may be hope for you yet." She said, swiping her hand through the mist. (Frank's grandma, I hope you're still alive.) 

That night, at dinner, I was claimed by Hades. Nico smiled at me, and said, "Hi, sis."