Chapter 27

Emily

When I go into the room after Roderick's announcement, I find Byron and Kelly ungracefully splayed out on my bed and James and Ava sleeping squished together on the sleeper couch.

So much for a hookup, I scoff, but what if Roderick was right? What if I just got there too late?

It's unlikely. It's very unlikely that goodie two shoes Ava would cheat on Mat. Whatever problems they may be having. Ava is exceptionally prudish.

I was totally shocked when she told me that she and Mat had slept together. After all, she refused to sleep with all her other boyfriends and William had even broken up with her because of it. When I asked what had happened when she'd lost her virginity, she hadn't want to talk about it so I doubt it was wonderful, but it appears they continued doing it again, up until the workshops, that is.

When everyone has either left or found a place to pass out, I unlock my mom's room and curl up next to her.

"Is that weird boy still prowling around?" she asks.

She must mean Roderick.

"No, his friends came to fetch him."

"Who was in the garage earlier?"

"No one. I locked the garage after the last time."

"It sounded like Terence," she says. "Where is he now?

"Passed out on the air mattress in the lounge."

"And Andrea?"

"She's with Ronel in her room."

"Tauriq?"

"On the two-seater in the lounge.

She doesn't ask about Ava so I'm assuming she heard what happened since my room is right next door.

"Did anything interesting happen in my room?"

"That girl, Terence's sister, is a handful. They were struggling to get her to sleep."

So no hook ups then.

I don't get much sleep because my mom's alarm goes off at 5am and she gets up and starts cleaning. I lay in bed for another hour before I get up to help her.

James is the first person to get up. I'm cleaning the kitchen when he comes in looking lost and a bit dazed.

"Would you like some coffee," I ask.

"Please," he said. "I have to go to work."

"You're working today."

"Yes."

James was never chatty with me so I don't ask about what Roderick says he saw. When James leaves an hour later, he gives me a quick hug goodbye.

I don't know what I feel about the idea of James and Ava potentially getting together. James is a good guy better than any of the other guys Ava has dated and he'd be good for Ava but a part of me is jealous that once again it's Ava that might be at the centre of a romance, and this time with a really nice guy. I did try to flirt with James in the beginning, who wouldn't, but he wasn't receptive and he is way out of my league in any case.

James is barely gone when Ronel comes barrelling into the kitchen. Her cheeks are flushed and her eyes are shining.

"What happened? Why are you so excited?"

"I kissed James," she squeals.

"What?"

"I saw him going into the bathroom to brush his teeth and I knew it was my chance."