Chapter 28. Into Major Troubles (Sky)

"Oh, I am glad that you two decided to make an appearance, although we are almost done discussing the shooting schedule for the campaign." Jason spitefully glares at Mauricio and does not even glimpse at me. There is a prominent frown on his face. He seems terribly displeased. I am more than certain that it is all my fault. His lips barely move as he hisses only for me to hear, "Mr. Jones, may I explain to you what the duties of a personal assistant are? What happened to participating in negotiations, taking notes, and helping with passing on the necessary data? You left me all alone to deal with all this shit."

"I am so sorry," I mutter. "You are absolutely right. It was totally unprofessional. I just did not know how to refuse... He..."

Jason interrupts me with an annoyed wave of his hand. His voice drops into falsetto as he leans towards my ear, "Where the fuck did that shmuck drag you? The audacity! These spoiled models think that they are allowed everything. If the brat believes he is the only one in demand, he can't be more wrong. I will fire him and the whole fucking agency in a blink of an eye and hire someone else. Respect. That is what I am going to teach them all."

Whoa! I have not seen him mad before. This is scary as hell. I better remember never to get on his wrong side again. The worst part is that I am jeopardizing a huge business deal. I do not even want to think about the penalties on the contract if Jason decides to terminate it a few days after signing it. My father will be even more furious than my boss. Why do I always get myself into major troubles when I do absolutely nothing to cause it? I must do something or we will both be in hot water. My hands are shaking, but I ignore it. Now is not the time to freak out.

"Ten percent of five million plus all costs," I whisper back. "That would be roughly three hundred thousand euro. Does it sound like a good price for a tantrum? Because that is more or less what we are going to pay Senior Mauro without him having done a single ounce of work. Calm down. Roast me later. Fire me if you want. Right now, you have to compose yourself and end this meeting in a friendly manner. Shake everyone's hand and politely say 'Goodbye'. That includes Mauricio as well."

Jason gazes at me in utter shock for a second, then his scowl disappears, and his lips slowly stretch into a smile. "Wow! Little Sky knows how to take command. You keep surprising me every day. I apologize. Seriously. I have no idea what got me. I hardly ever get angry. It's just that everyone here is so self-centered and vexing. Don't trust their deceitful benevolence. They do it for the money. Nothing is genuine."

"I know." I quickly squeeze his hand, which seems to make him even more relaxed. 

I am puzzled. Why is he so concerned about my trust being betrayed? Besides, I am pretty sure Mauricio is an awesome guy and did not treat me to a drink in pursuit of benefits. What use could he have of me? Unless... No, no. There is no way he would know who I am, right? Not a chance. My pictures are not in the papers. My father has always been very careful about it. He is highly protective of each family member. Luca, of course, loves to be in the spotlight, but mom and I have never been under paparazzi's attack. No, I am convinced Mauricio was sincere. Except I have no clue what he liked about me so much.

Jason still pouts a little when we go to the bike and start adjusting the helmets. I nudge him with an elbow. "Still angry?"

He sighs deeply. "No, of course not. Sky... I am so sorry. I did not have the right to lash out at you this way. I hope you do not think that I am a total ass."

"No," I quickly reassure him. "You had every right to be upset. I did not do my job. And I'm not proud of it. As your assistant, I know you should be able to count on me. I promise this won't happen again."

"I overreacted." He puts a hand on my shoulder. There is guilt written on his face. "Stop reprimanding yourself. I am actually an ass. My reasons were not the ones I pointed out..."

"No, no. I want to explain," I stop him. "I have no experience in such situations. I have never claimed otherwise either. The boy took my hand and led me to the pier, and I had no idea how to react. I should have said 'no' and done my duties first... What did you say about your reasons?"

Jason glances at me, looking somewhat reluctant to answer, and starts picking at the hem of his jacket.

"What did you mean?" I insist. Why does he behave so strangely? If I did not know him so well, I would say he is nervous.

"I got jealous," he barely hums. 

"What?" My jaw drops. Jealous? Why? I do not get it.

"It was obvious that the guy was hitting on you," Jason continues. "Pretty aggressively at that. You two were going to work together for months on, and he still did not want to miss the opportunity to get your full attention for the few minutes we were spending here today. I know his type. They always succeed. I.. umm... used to be of that same type... before. Smooth and quick. Listen, Sky, I am not saying he is necessarily a bad person. I am just saying that you deserve better."

I am staring at him and can not utter a word. What is going on? What is he talking about?

"Alright." He gulps heavily. "I confess. What I just said was true, but not the entire truth. Shit! I have no fucking idea if he is good for you or not. But I also do not want to find out."

I am still speechless. There is something in his eyes that keeps me frozen in place as he approaches. They are darker than usual, a shade of brown deeper than the ocean and warmer than melted lava. He takes his helmet off and drops in on the ground. The thud makes me tremble.

"Wait," I choke out when he takes off mine, and it follows the other. "I do not understand."

"I will tell it exactly as it is then," Jason huskily says, bringing his face close to mine. "I do not want you getting involved with Mauricio or anybody else because I want you for myself. I like you."

"Like me in what sense?" I still can not figure out what is going on. This is beyond belief. He can not mean...

"In this sense," he mumbles before wrapping an arm around my waist and pressing his lips to mine.

***

A/N

Hello, at the end of Chapter 28.

Thank you so much for reading and supporting ❤️❤️❤️

Did you expect Jason's reaction?

Was the kiss a surprise? 😀

Do we already have preferences - Jason or Mauricio?

Share your thoughts, criticize if you think it is necessary, and don't forget to vote and comment if you liked the chapter.

Love: Anny