Chapter 3

After a breakfast of toast, nuts, and jams, Catherine headed to the library. Pushing the gold trimmed door, she was greeted by bookshelves reaching toward the sky. Catherine turned her head from the main aisle to take in the fireplace and the grand couch before she decided to make her way down the main aisle. Her hand brushed against the golden play, reading each time period engraved.

Where...

A stack of books suddenly appeared in her way. With a sharp yelp, she covered her head as they went tumbling to the ground. Thankfully, none of them hit her in the head. Still, as she looked down at the mess, she knelt down and picked a few up. "I'm sorry. I wasn't paying any attenti-" Her words trailed off when she met Prince Ian's glare.

"Attention, yeah I noticed." He grabbed a book from the floor. "For a princess, you seemed to be very clumsy."

Catherine grimaced, trying to not let the words dig at her. "Well, I suppose it's been a while since I last worked on my balance, coming here from the trip and all." Glancing up, she watched him pick up a few more books. Well, here goes nothing. "I owe you an apology."

He nearly dropped a book. As his blank gaze snapped to her, the words spilled from her lips at the intensity in them. "I don't normally pull the princess card, but I didn't know who you were. When you grabbed me all I could think about was getting away from you." She lowered her head. "I'm really sorry."

As the silence went on, she looked up at Prince Ian who quickly glanced away. "Well, I suppose you had a good reason. I wasn't dressed up in my most princely outfit." He stood up and took his books back. "I guess I was just worried about making sure you didn't get hurt."

"Thank you for that." A nervous laugh left her lips. "I was about to make a horrible mistake if you hadn't stepped in."

"I don't think escaping for freedom can be classified as a terrible mistake." He shrugged his shoulders. "Especially in your situation."

Feeling her cheeks burned, she jumped onto a new subject. "So, are you always here?"

"Pretty much." Ian's gaze scanned the library. "It's like a second home for me."

"A second home?"

"All of these books contain the kingdom's history. From the very first founders to where the royal tree stands today."

"Founders?" Catherine followed him toward the back of the library. "Were the founders twins as well?"

Ian paused before he gave a seemingly reluctant nod. "Yeah, they were." His eyes lowered. "Though that seemed to be the start of the problem."

Even as he said the last part under his breath, the library was quiet enough that she heard it. "Why?" Catherine tilted her head. "What happened?"

From a young age, Catherine had always been curious. It was natural when one was kept in a sheltered life like she was. Between her favorite subject being history and the many questions she had about life, it was enough to drive even the most patient tutor to snap at times.

"That is for the royal family to know."

Catherine stepped in front of Ian, blocking his way. "But when I marry one of you then I will become the future queen. Don't you think I should know about the history of the kingdom?"

Ian's gaze narrowed to slits. "Very well." He stepped around her. "Follow me." Past the last of the rows was a grand table surrounded by chairs. There, stacked miles high, were mountains of books. "There you go." Ian gestured to the mountain. "The history of our castle."