Story Four: Thrill of the Hunt

August 8th, 2022. There was a crime scene this time. Another one was found. A 32-year-old man was found dead, his throat destroyed it's like some kind of animal ripped and tore his throat. His neck was snapped as well. "You think a bear did this? Or a wolf?" Officer Nook asked. "Maybe, except how would you explain that?" Officer Mac said, pointing to a Tree that had fallen. The Tree had a slash mark in it, cutting deep into the bark. The detective walked out, He had a black fedora and a black coat. "Alright boys, this is the 4th body this month, we need to get to the bottom of this." Detective Jacobs said. "Anything yet?" Officer Nook asked. "Yeah. Look." Detective Jacobs said, pointing at the mud on the ground. There were 2 sets of footprints on the ground, but they seemed to disappear, almost as if the one who did this...simply flew.

Abby and Owen sat on the couch at 2:34 AM watching the original Child's Play movie, they weren't tired or anything, they were vampires after all, and wouldn't get tired for a while. But when they were watching, something odd began happening to the TV. "What's wrong with the TV?" Abby asked. "I don't know," Owen said. Soon the TV stopped glitching, but instead of the horror movie classic, it was a news report. "Breaking news, 32-year-old Edward Roberts was found dead in Prospect Park just a few moments ago. Detective Jacobs was available for an interview." The News Reporter said. "We don't know who did this just yet, but trust me, we will find out." Detective Jacobs said. The movie switched back to normal and Abby and Owen looked at eachother. "Well, we don't need to worry, they don't know it's us," Abby said. "Yeah, you're right," Owen said. Owen rubbed Abby's hair as she nuzzled into his hand, continuing to watch the movie.

A week later, a man, 23 years old left his job at Chuck E. Cheese at 10:30 PM and began to start the car and leave. However, halfway through his journey home, he began to run out of gas. "...Oh god damn it." He said. He checked his phone and realized he was near a gas station. He pulled in, noticing a police officer's car was in the station as well. When he walked in for the money, he spotted Detective Jacobs in there. "Hello, Detective." The man said. Detective Jacobs looked up from getting a slushie. "Hello there sir, Are you driving well this evening?" Detective Jacobs asked. "Yeah, I am thanks, just ran out of gas and came to get some." The man said. "Ah, well you have a good night." The Detective said.

The Man nodded, got his money for the gas, and walked back to his car, only for... "Help.." A voice called. The man stopped and looked around, to see a little girl sitting there beside his car. "Help.." The girl said again. The girl is Abby. "What do you need? Are you ok?" The man asked. "Please...I can't walk...can you take me to a hospital?" Abby asked. The man nodded and picked her up, and was about to put her in his car when Owen jumped down from the roof of the gas station and tackled the man down, biting into his neck, Abby got out of the man's grasp and began biting into him. The man screamed out in pain, alerting the detective inside the store. He ran out and saw the man getting attacked. "HEY, STOP!" He yelled. He pulled out his gun and began shooting. Abby noticed and quickly snapped the man's neck and she and Owen ran off, leaping over the fence and disappearing. As they run off the detective runs to the man's side and checks his pulse. He's gone. "SOMEONE CALL 911!" The Detective said.

Knock Knock Knock. "Come in!" Police Chief Edwards said. Mr. Edwards is the Police chief of the Brooklyn Police Force. He was reaching over 60, but he still took his job seriously. He wasn't one to just retire, he'd fight for Brooklyn until the day he died. His once gold mustache was fading away and white, and he had a blue police uniform on, however, he didn't wear a hat, and his hat now hung up on a rack. Detective Jacobs walked into the room. "Ah, Jacobs, perfect timing I was just about to call you in," Edwards said. "Was this about.." Detective Jacobs began to say. "The Murder? Yeah. You were there, and yeah no one is suspecting you, I just want to know if you saw anything." Chief Edwards said. Detective Jacobs looked down before taking a deep breath. "Kids." Detective Jacobs said. "...What?" Chief Edwards asked. "Kids. Two of them. Looked 12-13 years old. They were gnawing on him, blood on their faces. When I fired at them they ran off." Detective Jacobs said. Chief Edwards stared for a bit before laughing. "Kids? Really? Ha! You're telling me two 12-year-olds took down a full-grown man? What, do you think their metahumans or something? S-S-Something like Spiderman or something?!" Chief Edwards asked. "Well, maybe, but sir, the fact those kids were there, the fact that they were the one-" But Detective Jacobs was cut off. "Look, I doubt those kids were the ones doing it, they probably saw him injured and went to help but ran off when you began shooting at them. Now leave, I got shit to do. No more about these...Metahuman kids alright?" Chief Edwards asked. "Yes sir." Detective Jacobs said. He left the room with sorrow.