Heightened Senses

(Gon's POV)
-
-

Everything here was ... foreign..

I didn't know what to think. The way the air smelled, the breeze, even the sound of animals. Nothing even remotely close to what I'd consider home. After leaving Whale Island I'd experienced all kinds of new things, but the feeling of everything that had a sense of familiarity being suddenly ripped away entirely somewhat unsettled me.

These people seemed friendly, and I always love making new friends, I just had a sudden hit of uneasiness. I didn't know what was causing it. Maybe it was due to being somewhere so unfamiliar.

I didn't want to think about it too much so I brushed it off as nerves, but once again, here it is. It felt like someone's overpowering aura. Even though I used Nen, I still couldn't figure it out. I couldn't sleep. I attempted to quietly sneak away, but I felt a light tug at my arm. I already knew the source.

"Gon, where are you going" I hear an aggressive whisper escape from Killua.

"Just getting some fresh air" I whisper back. That was what I was genuinely doing for the most part.

"Okay, take me with you" he quickly responds, and stealthily gets to his feet.

we both begin to walk outside of the small home, the floorboards creaking under each careful step. I didn't want to wake anyone up so I tried to keep my footsteps as quiet as possible.

Finally, taking in a breath of calm night air, I felt a little better.

"Killua...."

"what's up?"

"is it just me, or have you been feeling on edge lately..?" I didn't word that well. I already knew his answer would be yes seeing as how suspicious he was of Saiki. "that's not what I meant... have you felt, like..." I pause. I didn't know how to word the emotions I was feeling.

"I can't talk too much about it as I don't know if anyone is listening in, but like I said, that Saiki guy. Something is strange about him.." Killua says with a hurried and quiet voice.

I don't know, I just met him so what good will it do to be suspicious of him based on a hunch? I wanted to be friends because we all shared a similar situation.

"I wanted to tell you my findings after some more digging... but, I don't have a definite reason for being suspicious. Something is up." Killua continues with his previously stated remark, somewhat alleviating my previous worries.

"Just keep your eye out okay? Let's go back in, don't want to be out here too long in case anyone wakes up." He smiles at me and begins walking back into the home.

I take one last large breath of the cool and crisp air and begin walking back into the home. I'm suddenly met with the sight of Killua being confronted by the old man.

"First I offer you information, then a meal, and lastly a warm place to sleep." The man paused, his stature was much more menacing. His rough voice scrapped at my eardrums. The moonlight now highlighted his many scars, making him look a lot more intimidating than in daylight.

"and of course.. you choose to disrespect me by snooping around. I had high hopes for you lot, but you're just another gang of hooligans."

I didn't fully understand why he immediately jumped to the conclusion that we meant any harm. I don't like to be accused either. I open my mouth to assure him

"I'm sorry we've upset you, but I promise, all we were doing was getting a breath of fresh air."

the old man let out a loud grumble, he didn't seem to like my answer. Killua begins to back up defensively, as we both sense the rising bloodlust from him.

"BULL. SHIT. You, THEVIES" spit was spewing from his mouth, his veins were popped and he seemed almost... animal..

"Think you can take whatever and get away with it huh? WELL, I'VE GOT NEWS, I'M NOT LETTING YOU TAKE ANOTHER CHILD OF MINE" he shouts out, his eyes staring into mine. A look of nothing but pure rage.

He notices Killua trying to back up and instantly attempts to lunge a punch at him, however, it's rebuttaled with a quick dodge.

by now we heard the others begin to rush over and inspect the noises, including his daughter.

"Dad? What's going on?.." Arexialas face was full of horror like there was something more to this.

In a fit of rage, the old man throws the remains of what used to be a table towards me. I jumped over it and it made an impact with the floor, a loud thud echoed through the silence of the room.

"Dad! Please! You know that you don't mean that!" Arexialas began to beg and ran to her father, she clung to the fabric of his clothing, letting out sobs of desperation. "don't do this!"

Through her huffed breathing and cries, it seemed that the once intimidating and angered man had returned to his softer and kinder state. slowly he showed to be more fatigued than outraged.

everyone just stared at the scene, unknowing what to say.

"Are you alright?" Subaru asks, reaching his hand out to Arexialas but it's slapped away in response.

She silently helps her father back to his room and into bed. And then comes back out. For a while, she stares blankly at us all.

"I'm sorry, he's sick." she says trying to stop herself from crying more "This... virus, it starts with fits of anger, a—a-and only... worse.. sister... he" she starts to trip over her own words, struggling to form sentences. She was in a state of complete distress.

"you don't have to go into detail if it's too painful," Subaru says. I silently agreed with him, she needed a break.

She takes a breath, and wipes her tears.

"Sorry, i-i'll tell you later.. for now please just.. leave me .... to my father's bedside." she quickly walked back to the bedroom in which she had just led him.

you could hear a pin drop with the amount of quiet everyone was. After standing there for a bit, I, along with Killua and the others awkwardly make our way back to the room in which we were 'sleeping'.

Everyone settled in once more, retreating to their old positions but, nobody could get rest after what just happened.

the sun couldn't rise any slower.
-
-
-
-
-