Chapter 12: Back to The Underground

Why are my parents back? They were supposed to be gone on a business trip! "Hey, Mom, Dad." I greet, struggling to find the words as I wave and step aside to let them in. Chara appeared right next to me again, and considering the lack of reaction from my parents, I assume only I could see her.

"Hey (Y/N)! We decided to come home early, and our friend's daughter needed a place to stay for a little while." Mom explains as she heads towards the kitchen while Dad took some bags to their bedroom. That's when I noticed a girl around my age walk in behind them. She smiled and gave a slight wave, which I returned.

"That's not great." I hear Chara mutter. She wasn't wrong. Without the guest bedroom, Chara didn't have a place to stay. I had thought about this previously, but not extensively as I had plenty of time in the last RESET.

I let out a small sigh after everyone passed and started to do their own things. It wasn't that I didn't want to see my parents, it's just that now of all times was inconvenient. With no one looking, I tap Chara to get her attention and wordlessly gesture to my room as I start to walk that way.

She follows me, and we don't say anything until my door is closed. "Sorry, I thought we'd have at least a few months. I guess this is one of those differences you mentioned?" I ask, sitting in my chair. Chara takes a seat on my bed. "Yeah, although the changes are normally small, like something being a different color than you remember, or someone having a different hairstyle. A change this big, with someone making a different decision entirely, is new. It must be because you are the one who did the RESET." Chara explains.

It made sense. If I'm an anomaly like Gaster said, then logically, I will probably cause new anomalies to occur. "It isn't a big deal, by the way, losing the bedroom, that is. I don't sleep, so it's not like I need a bed, and it means I can annoy you more easily." Chara continues, smirking before leaning back on the bed.

I let out a small chuckle. "Yeah, I guess that's true. Just don't get any funny ideas while I'm sleeping. I don't want to wake up with a sudden makeover in marker." I respond, earning a small giggle from Chara, which made me smile. "I would never! Besides, it was your idea." Chara says, smirking mischievously as she looked over at me.

I was about to say something in response, but once more, a knock interrupted me. I quickly get up and open the door, seeing the girl who will be staying here. "Hi! I wanted to introduce myself properly since I'll be staying here for the time being. My name is Kris, it's nice to meet you." Kris says, holding a hand out for a handshake as she smiled. I shook her hand and smiled a bit myself. "It's a pleasure to meet you. My name is (Y/N), but you probably already know that." I reply.

We had a short conversation before she walked off, and I went back to sitting in my chair.

"Replacing me already?" Chara says, faking a hurt expression as she sat up on the bed. "I don't think anyone could replace you, Chocolate Fiend." I respond, coming up with the nickname as she pulled a peice of chocolate out of her pocket.

*

After some time of mostly idle chatter, I got an idea. "Hey, since we don't really have to worry about you, know who for a little bit, can you take me on a tour of the underground?" I ask, looking to Chara. "Why? Haven't you heard all about it from Frisk?" Chara asks, tilting her head to the side a bit.

"Yeah, I have, but hearing about it isn't the same as seeing it, besides, I want to get out of here and it's kinda the only place we can talk freely without any weird looks. Plus, I've only seen the ruins. I never actually got to see anywhere past Snowdin Forest." I respond. Chara stands, contemplating for a minute, but sighing. "Sure, get whatever you need and meet me outside." Chara says, slightly smiling at me as she disappears.

I grab a few things before telling my parents an excuse and heading outside. Chara was waiting for me on the porch, and she held her hand out for me, so I took it. "All good?" She asks, to which I nod, and we suddenly appear in the forest of Snowdin.

And I immediately regret not bringing a coat. I forgot how cold it was here, but I try not to let it show. If I did, I'd probably be teased by Chara. "Come on, town is this way." Chara says, floating along a mostly clear path. From the looks of things, we were just past where she saved me from the falling branch. That seems like forever ago now.

*

We made it to town and stepped into the Inn to get out of the cold, which did seem to affect Chara a bit, but not terribly much. I, on the other hand, was shivering. "You know, you could have told me you were cold. I could have taken you back to grab a coat." Chara says, looking at me. "Nah, I'll be fine. I'd have to explain taking the coat with me if we did that anyway. How is this fire still lit?" I ask, changing the subject as I step closer to the fireplace. "Magic. Most things down here are fuelled by the magic in the air." Chara responds, giving me a small look of worry before answering my question.

Despite the pleasant warmth of the fire, I was still shivering a small bit, so I took a seat on the ground in front of the fire. I didn't move until I felt something wrap around me, which made me turn to see what it was. Chara had stolen one of the blankets from the rooms and wrapped it around me. "Can't have you shivering all day. I've still got a tour to give." She responds. "Well, thanks for the blanket." I say, smiling a bit at her as I stood up. The blanket helped a lot, and the shivering stopped.

With the blanket still wrapped around me, I headed towards the door as Chara told me a few little facts about Snowdin. We headed out, back into the cold once more. The blanket kept out some of the light winds moving through the area, so it wasn't terrible anymore. As we passed by Grillby's, Chara makes a face before stopping. "Let's take a left, Boat person should still be around to take us to Waterfall." She says, turning in said direction before continuing to go. "Why not just walk there?" I ask, curious about why she switched directions like that. "Bad memories." She replied simply, looking down as she floated.

"Oh." I respond, knowing exactly what she meant. I reached out and held her hand as we walked, which made her look up at me curiously. "Whatever happened, it was in the past, and now is the present, so don't beat yourself up about it." I say, smiling. I swear I saw her cheeks turn a little bit more red than normal before she turned away.

We reached where she was leading me quickly and got on the boat. "Where to?" Asked the monster at the head of the boat. "Waterfall." I reply. Boat person nods, and the boat starts shaking a bit. "Oh, this again. Hang onto something, other than me." Chara says, looking around as I felt the boat rise. I did as she said, and before I could question it, I realized the boat had sprouted legs and was now skipping across the water.

Just when I thought I had seen everything, I'm once again surprised by the underground.

*

(Kris isn't the same as the Deltarune Kris, although I may make a Deltarune book at some point, I'm just horrible with names, and that one came to mind. Hope you enjoy, and feedback is always welcome.)