Chapter 2

The weathered surface of the docks scratched at the undersides of my shoes, my gaze fixed on the distant horizon. The rhythmic dance of the waves captured my attention, the crests crashing against the worn edges of the docked boats. Many mornings within my childhood had been spent at the docks, fishing rod in hand as I scampered into the boat, insistently calling for my brother and father to join me.

The unforgiving sun beat maliciously down upon my bare shoulders, as it edged further towards the apex of its cycle, the seconds ticking down till the reaping would commence. The whole thing felt extremely surreal, ambling down the once embracing docks with my father, preparing to be sent to a whole new world. Never once had I been to the Capitol, as it was forbidden for citizens to travel outside of their districts, but had heard many things from the Training Academy, while gossiping in the canteen.

My personal trainer, Sebastian Merryweather, had spent hours explaining the wonders of the Capitol, of the multiple-setting showers, the feasts that made a three-course meal look like a snack, the beautiful outfits made specifically to your measurements, while persuading me to take the Final Assessment. Sebastian had never actually been to the Capitol, having never been eligible to complete the Final Assessment, but was incredibly close to the District Four Capitol escort, Fauna Millstock, and would often spend reaping days following her around like a lost hound.

I sprung up the rocks that formed a shortcut from the docks to the market square, where the reaping would commence, glancing over my shoulders every now and then to see my father hobbling up behind me. We had few minutes to arrive at the market square, and to arrive late would only mean humiliation for District Four, as it would be recorded for the entire Capitol to view.

The scent of the sea subsided as we went further up the rocks, until eventually the market square came into view, the expected stalls having been replaced with ropes and cameras and people. Several areas had been created using ropes, and were already filled with children, their faces filled with excitement and wonder at the events of the reaping. Large lines had been created, twisting around each other like snakes as awaiting children queued to be registered and their names placed into the system.

The outskirts of the market were already overflowing with those ineligible for the Hunger Games, their mass being forced into the alleyways that stood behind them. Guards from the Capitol stood to the side, escorting the remaining citizens to the surrounding streets, where they would be able to view the reaping from large screens. Excited chatter roared from within the crowds, as they betted on whether or not District Four would have a victor this year, or who was most likely going to be next year's tributes.

A rough hand landed upon my shoulder. "You go and get signed in, kiddo," my father said, dropping his arm. "I'll go find your mother and Cove. I think Dorian should already be waiting at the front." I nodded, preparing to leave for the line, when his voice caught me off guard. "And kiddo? Remember to keep your chin up."

A smile came to my lips, and I nodded, waving my father goodbye before heading to the queues that had formed. The line began to shorten before my eyes, causing the wait to be brisk, the other children of District Four gazing at me with both weariness and gratitude. There were rumors from the common folk that Career kids were wild beasts, only tamed by their trainers, which was half true, and they always seemed to be wary of us during classes at school, or while passing us at the market. But today the training finally paid off, and many of them knew if their name was pulled from the bowl, the only reason they wouldn't die was because of the Career kids. So they left us be.

My finger was pricked, my name registered before I wandered into the roped crowd of children, edging towards the front, slotting myself beside the fifteen year olds. My eyes traveled to the stage, where District Four's escort, Fauna Millstock, stood, talking animatedly to our mayor.