Chapter Two

The desert landscape whizzed past the car as Ana and her friends continued their journey down the dusty highway. The group chatted and laughed, oblivious to the darkness that lurked just beyond the horizon. Suddenly, a figure appeared on the side of the road, a young woman with wild, haunted eyes holding out her thumb.

"Should we pick her up?" Danny asked, glancing at Ana for approval.

Ana hesitated for a moment, considering the risks of picking up a hitchhiker in the middle of nowhere. But something about the girl's desperate expression tugged at her heartstrings, and she nodded for them to pull over.

The girl climbed into the backseat, her movements jerky and tense. She introduced herself as Sally Hardesty, but her words were few and her gaze distant. As the car continued down the road, Sally grew increasingly agitated, her eyes darting nervously from side to side.

"Where are you headed?" Connie asked, trying to make conversation.

Sally's eyes widened in fear as realization dawned on her. "You're going to Texas, aren't you?" she whispered, her voice trembling with dread.

The group exchanged confused glances, unsure of what had triggered Sally's sudden panic. Before anyone could respond, Sally lunged forward, her hands reaching for the steering wheel in a desperate attempt to take control.

"Stop the car! We can't go back there!" Sally screamed, her voice filled with terror.

Ana slammed on the brakes, bringing the car to a screeching halt on the side of the road. The others quickly restrained Sally, struggling to hold her back as she continued to thrash and fight against them.

In a moment of clarity, Sally's eyes locked with Ana's, a look of profound sadness and resignation crossing her face. "I'd rather die than go back to that place..." she muttered in a weak voice, her hand trembling as she reached into her bag and pulled out a gun.

Before anyone could react, Sally pressed the gun to her temple and pulled the trigger, a deafening bang echoing through the car. The group watched in horror as Sally's lifeless body slumped against the seat, blood pooling around her head.

Silence filled the car as the reality of what had just happened sank in. Ana felt a chill run down her spine, a sense of foreboding hanging heavy in the air. Little did they know, Sally's warning was just the beginning of the nightmare that awaited them in the heart of Texas.