The happiest of birthdays

"Daddy look at the pretty colors," the little boy was so excited to finally celebrate his 6th birthday as it was the first at the boy's new house. The tall,tan, man standing behind him with a look of dullness, as he watched the boy's large green eyes explore the huge dining room decorated with brightly colored balloons. "Honey I hope you're happy we spent all day setting this up." A very slender woman about the same height of the man standing beside the young boy, asked her fluffy red hair bounced with delight as she walked into the dinning room. "Good evening sweetie," the taller man started,"I think grandma is almost here, she called about 10 minutes ago telling me she was on her way." His deep voice raspy, and dark chilled the young boy's body, he walked towards the first chair he saw and sat in it, crossing his long legs and arms as if he was showing off some type of power. "Daddy?" the little boy had a look of excitement and anticipation, "Yes, son?" the man answered, taking a second in between the two words as if contemplating what to say, as if it was a mistake. "What did you get me as a gift?","..." the man didn't answer. "Honey, your son asked you a question." the woman said as if demanding the man to answer the little boy's question. "It's a surprise." The man answered with such a mellow tone it made the boy question and wonder if the man was hiding something from him as if keeping a horrid secret. "Sweet pea, why don't you go outside and play in the yard." the slender woman asked with a look of anger and sweetness that the boy understood very well now. "Yes, ma'am" the little boy responded quickly, not wanting to aggravate the woman anymore. He made his way down the long hallway that connected the dinning room to the entrance of the very large house, making his way out the door he noticed just how deep into the woods they were, the more he looked into the abyss of the woods, the more and more he saw. He walked out towards the dense greenery and took in just how much there was and how many creatures were looking at him, "Hey! Jeremy, what are you doing outside?"an older woman, short and a little on the bigger side, waved her hand out of the car window. The little boy knocked out of his trance, bolted towards the house scared and afraid of what the woman might do to him. He ran into the entrance of the house slamming the door behind him, "Sweet pea what happened?", the slender woman walking past the corridor of the entrance asked, "A lady outside, knows my name, don't know her." the little boy said, taking a breath in between each word hand on his heart as if he were pledging to the flag bent over like he's been punched in the gut. "Wait a minute, take a few breaths before you start talking." the woman said with a soft tone, trying to calm the child. She walked him out of the entrance way and to the living room where she sat him down on one of the dark red velvet couches in front of the fireplace. "Now tell me what happened.", after explaining the situation to her the tall man entered the room with the same shorter, bigger woman from earlier. "Jeremy, meet your grandma Tasha.","Is this the woman you were talking about?" the woman asked the small child, he nodded. "Lincoln, is this the birthday boy?" the woman asked with a horrid smile on her face that could make even the toughest of guys shiver with terror, and fright. "Yes Ma'am." the man said with a chilling look on his face, as if even he was scared of the woman. "Oh, isn't he just the cutest little thing I've ever seen." She shuffled over to the boy taking smaller steps but still moving pretty fast for how big she was. When she got near the boy she pinched his cheek so tightly she left a red mark on his pale face. Tears welled in his eyes from the sheer pain of the pinch, he tried to keep the tears from falling but he failed and a single tear fell from the boy's eye. "He's a little weak isn't he?" "Excuse me?" the slender woman said in a very confused tone. "No boy his age should cry from a pinch as soft as that one." the wide woman said with a very serious look on her face. "Well, I think his reaction was very normal, especially if a pinch as hard as that one left a red mark on his face." The slender woman issued the little boy towards the large kitchen that smelled like a freshly baked cake. The scent alone calmed the boy, along with the comfort he received from the woman, she kissed the spot where the woman pitched him and then put a bandage on top to hide the large red mark that was on his face. "Never let a woman that size put her hands on you or handle you the same way the whale of a person did, okay?", "Yes ma'am" the little boy replied with a sad tone. "That witch will never put her hands on my baby no matter how old he is" the woman mumbles walking away swiftly, the little boy stared out the window and out into the woods.

Hi, this is my second attempt at publishing a book on this app/site , Im no that experienced when it comes to writing but I think I am doing pretty well so far and I think if I keep my motivation this book could be pretty good. If you have any tips just comment on them (I'll most likely read them lol) -C.E. Fevers