Chapter 3: Justice

"That was some storm last night," Irma said for the seventh time. Though no enemy of repetition, this was beginning to wear on even Eckfar's nerves.

"Yes indeed, it was," he replied dutifully.

"I've never heard the like! And yet with each boom of thunder I felt more and more as if I were safe at home! Normally those storms frighten me so..." she trailed off. "This town is changing me."

"I had such a dream," the blacksmith said. Eckfar's eyes darted in his direction. He almost spoke about his own dream, but the prospect of sharing such a vision would threaten to reveal to them that he was a homosexual, a thing that they would not understand nor take lightly. The blacksmith went on, "I was at home in my bed! O it was heaven, I tell you. My wife brought me a draught of hot beer. Why, I felt as if I had just had a feast!" And with that any hope it was some similar experience to his own faded. But considering that possibility he realized that it was better the man had not. For if such a man as the blacksmith had a dream like that, he would be tempted to doubt the veracity of his own. The comparison, however, pathetic though it made the blacksmith seem, did wonders for his own confidence.

Politely he merely said , "Oh yes, that sounds lovely, doesn't it?"

But the blacksmith regarded him as an annoyance, and with an added suspicion, reminding Eckfar of the previous day's accusation of weakness. He chided himself for leaving himself exposed to such vile judgment.

"And how can we help you?" Irma's voice said with an edge. For a moment Eckfar felt it was directed at himself, but he looked up and saw that the bearded wizard approached.

"Greetings madame. I do believe that the night previous you had the opportunity to meet my pupil, Guy. He performed an indispensable service, the likes of which even priests envy."

"Yes, I do believe. I believe as well that he had designs upon this here young man who has been given over to our charge, and who we intend to see home safely. Without fuss."

"Ah, but fuss there had already been, had there not? Please, allow me only the opportunity to address the man."

"Address me, then," Eckfar said with boldness the origin of which he knew not.

The wizard's eyes pierced his own, though Eckfar held the gaze. "Boy, the curse with which you were afflicted could have made much mightier men than you lose all control, even revert to some animalistic disorder of the soul. I have seen such men rampaging mightily, indeed."

"And?" Eckfar prompted.

"And...I am wondering how indeed you were able to survive it so well! You must possess some enormous reservoir of strength."

"I am a humble worker, my good sir."

"Not sir! Simply Corvus. Corvus the mage."

"Well then, Corvus the mage, I am sorry, but I do not know what kind of strength you mean. I am quite ordinary a person as you will find in the place where I am from. These here are the people from my town. Look at us. Surely you will see that we are ordinary folk."

"Why have you come to such a dark place, if I may ask."

Irma interjected sharply, "We should ask the same of you, stranger!"

Continuing in his patronizingly supplicating tone, Corvus said, "My dear woman, the abilities of those in my charge and myself are quite sufficient to survive the dangers of this town, as you have already seen."

"But why come at all!? We have business here with the magistrate, but what of you?"

"We were weary of the road and desired lodgings," he said curtly, returning to Eckfar. "Why have you come particularly? Your party seems to be on average as old as myself."