Chapter 1

My morning routine is always exactly the same; wake up, hide under the bed, wait until no one else is in the house, then one of my brothers gives me a signal, then I get a shower, put clothes on, check to make sure no windows in the kitchen or living room are not uncovered, they usually are covered unless my brothers were in a rush, I grab some food, then rub back to my room, quiet not to make any noise, then lock the door, and look outside through the one-way glass my dad put in when I was born. No one can know I exist. Why? Because I'm an illegall third child. My name is Ponyboy Curtis, I'm 14 years old and I'm a shadow child. Ever since my parents died, my brothers have been extra careful to keep me hidden. I've never been outside. Never in my life have I met the guys who come over in the afternoons. I've always wanted to, but my brothers said no. That they have no idea where they stand on the whole population law thing. I really can't blame them for not asking. It's not exactly something teenage guys talk about. I know what they talk about from my brothers. They keep me updated. 

My bedroom window is the only one in the house that I can look through. The view is of the house right next door. It's about as big as mine. Except slightly less run down. The gardens on the side look well kept. Usually,  I get back up to my room when the people start leaving. A man and a woman are the first to leave. They get in seperate cars and drive off. Next, are two young women. They get in their car and drive off. But they're not what interests me. What interests me, is the boy who sneaks out of a panel on the side of the house about five to ten minutes after everyone is gone. He hides in the bushes and looks around before running towards the alley behind the house. I've never met him. Nor have I told my brothers. The boy is a shadow child like me. I've only ever seen him from above, but if I was ever allowed to go outside, I could probably recognize his white-blond hair. He wears black and carries a blade. I half hope he's fourteen like me, but he's probably a bit older. 

I've contemplated following him several times in the two years the family's lived there, but I've never been brave enough to. But today, when the boy's sisters leave, I step out the front door, and skirt around to the back of my house. I don't stop to feel how good the fresh cool autumn air feels on my cheek. I'm determined to meet this kid. I watch the house closely, out of view of the boy. I don't want him to think I'm some sort of stalker. I see him come out and run down the alleyway. I follow him, trying not to be noticed. I hide behind things. I'm doing pretty good until I lose him. I look around. I don't know where I am and I don't know where he went. I'm scared. Luckily there's no one else around. 

Suddenly, someone has me pinned against the fence, my arm held in a really painful position. "Who are you and why are you following me." A stern voice demands. I turn my head as much as I can before it is pushed back against the hard wood. From the corner of my eye I had caught a tuff of white-blond hair sticking out from behind a Lynx-like ear. 

"I-I-I'm Ponyboy. I want to be your friend." I say quietly, my voice sounding slightly whiny. 

"No one wants to be my friend."

"I do! I'm like you."

"What do you mean you're 'like me'?" I didn't have to see him to know he was narrowing his eyes. 

"Shadow child." I whisper just loud enough for him to hear.