Chapter 1

Chen Rui's POV

I am Chen Rui everyone admires how smart I can be. I am the pride of Tsinghua University High School. Every Chinese parent would like to have a kid like me, with the best grades in science and maths. I dream of becoming an amazing scientist someday and now I am a step closer to this dream. Why? Because I just received a letter from Harvard. Is that for real? I am not dreaming, right? They accepted me. I have to call Li Wang to tell him the news he will be so happy or even better I will organize a party today night and all my friends will be there. Maybe even Yang Yixiang. Ahh, shit, I can't stop thinking about her. How am I supposed to tell her that I am gonna leave soon? Or even more how I am supposed to tell her how I feel about her.

I loved Yang Yixiang since primary school, she is so beautiful, and it was so obvious that she would become a famous star. She has become quite popular. She is the face of a lot of magazines and ads on TV. Maybe she will become an actress. Ahh, shit I can't leave her behind but I want to go to that university is my dream.

Maybe if I call Wang he will make me feel better.

- Wang bro, how's it going?

I was still shocked by the news I got, so it was so awkward talking with him.

- Rui bro, everything is so boring here.
- Where are you?
- At my house, wanna come? Let's hang out.
- Sure. I have to tell you something important today.

I wanted to go and tell him everything as fast as I could. So I found myself running halfway to his home.

After some minutes I wore my clothes and I got ready to go to see him at his house. When I rang the bell he immediately opened the door.

- Rui, you came. What's up, bro?

He said while he softly hit me on my back. His hands were always so big that you thought that if he touched you, you would be in so much pain. But no, his touch was always so soft and gentle, I got used to it.

- Everything is okay.
- What did you want to say to me?
- Let's go to your room first.

I wanted to tell him in his personal place. So we would be more comfortable. Also, we I visited him we always went to his bedroom.

We walked on the stairs that led to his room. We both sat on his bed.

I've been to his room countless times. We've been friends since we were born. Yeah, we were friends from babies. We were always together on everything. My first was always with him. The first win on the science project was him, the first party was with him, the first time I drank was with him, and the first time I rode a bike was with him. He was the one who persuaded me to join the basketball team and for the first time, I enjoyed playing games., I enjoyed playing sports, me that doesn't have a single muscle, and that has no sport spirit in me. Maybe I enjoyed it because it was with him. He was my everything. My bestie for a reason. I took a deep breath and courage to tell him the news. I couldn't hold it anymore.

- Wang, they accepted me, I am going to study in the USA. I am going to the USA bro!!!

He didn't respond, his face looked shocked like he wasn't happy about me.

- Oh... You're leaving? I am glad for you... So when are you leaving?

I looked at his eyes, it was like he was holding back some tears but I wasn't sure. He didn't seem so "glad" about it that it made me worry.

- I am leaving the next week.
- Next Week?

Now he looked for sure more shocked than before.

- Yes, I am so happy Wang, finally my dream to go to the USA is becoming true.
- You mean our dream. It was our dream to go to the USA.
- Yes, you are right...
- No, you said that we will go together, that we will do it together.
- I know, but... Wang, I really want to go, maybe I will not have another chance in the future. Please understand me.
- I understand that our friendship means nothing to you.
- Nothing to me? You must kidding me. You can't think that. I can't believe that you think that way. I thought you would be proud and happy for me. But I guess I was wrong. Sorry for thinking that it was a good idea telling it to you.

I felt so bad, like what he was thinking? How can he be nothing to me? how he can say such things after the time we had together. Why? A felt tear on my cheek.

- What? You expected me to be happy about you when you were going to leave me behind?
- Wang, I don't know about you but I am going no matter what. Happy or not, it doesn't change that fact.

Like what, he wanted me to give on my dream? He is my friend he has to support me, if he doesn't support me then who?

- And what about Yang Yixiang?
- What about her?

Why did he even bring her? He knows how much I love her, I have told him countless times.

- Don't you love her? Are you willing to leave her behind too? You don't care about me but her?

If I love her? Of course, I do, why he is acting so heartless? She is my crush and he is my best friend.

- I care for both of you. And yes is the hardest thing to leave behind my only love and for my only friend. But I am going to the USA, I have to make my choice.

I left his room, angrier and saddest than I was. Wang's words were replaying in my mind. I didn't want to fight with him, he was my best friend but because of that, he had to be happy with me. Why have to be so dramatic, okay I am leaving but we will still keep talking to each other, and we will still keep being friends. But I think I have to text him, he is my best friend, before I leave I don't want us to be apart. I want us to be together. But what should I text him? Ah, why is so difficult to text him? Rui come on, is not that he is your crush anyway, just send it.

- Hey Bro, I am sorry about previously. I didn't want us to fight
- It's okay. It was my fault after all. I just wanted us to do this together as we dreamed.
- Same, I want us to go together to the USA, I want you to be by my side.
- But at least one of us will fulfill his dream.

I feel a bit guilty now, in the end, I am the one breaking our promise.

- Wang, I am about to organize a party at night, why aren't you coming to my house to help me.
- Sure, I have also something to announce to you.
- What?
- You will know soon.

I was pretty curious about what he wanted to tell me. But most importantly, he seemed like he wasn't mad at me anymore.