ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟝

((I thought I'd mention quickly that the cat in this chapter is Mrs Norris, NOT Professor McGonagall, just didn't want to cause any confusion, thx))

I stayed crouched down behind the couch, listening as the sound of footsteps entered the common room. I was muttering quiet curses under my breath, already regretting my decision.

But it was too late now, it would draw heaps of suspicion if I revealed my presence, considering it would seem like I was eavesdropping.

Well... I mean I technically was, but they didn't need to know that, of course.

I could hear the three transfer students talking between themselves quietly as they walked across the common room.

Unfortunately, I was too far away to hear what they were saying.

I shifted my awkward, crouched stance slightly, wincing when the floorboards beneath my feet creaked slightly.

Shit shit shit shit shit.

"What was that?" One of them—Lorenzo I think—asked, loud enough that I was able to pick it up.

The other two fell silent, and I held my breath, trying not to be heard.

"It's probably nothing, let's go." One of the other ones responded after several moments of silence—I think that one was Theodore.

Oh thank the gods. I let out the breath I'd been holding as I heard their footsteps resume. Instead of heading back in the direction of the dorms, I could hear them receding in the direction of the common room entrance.

Where the hell are they going now? I thought, exasperated. I didn't know anything about the rules of this school, but I was pretty sure leaving the common room in the middle of the night was most likely not allowed.

I'm going to have to follow them, aren't I? I realised, groaning internally. For fucks sake, I just wanted some sleep for once.

I waited until I heard the door of the common room close, then sprang up from where I was hiding. I must've gotten up a little too quickly, because I stumbled, and almost fell, although I managed to grab onto the back of the couch just in time.

Okay. I thought to myself. Don't be a complete idiot. If you're going to follow three guys in the middle of the night, at least do it with a weapon.

Quickly, I turned and hurried back to the dorm room, where I grabbed a knife sheath and strapped it to my arm in record time, before yanking on a hoodie to cover the weapon.

As a last-minute thought, I grabbed my wand too, and slipped it into my pocket along with my phone, just in case.

Without wasting any more time, I ran back out into the common room, and out through the door into the hallway. Glancing up and down the corridor, I couldn't see any sign of the transfer students.

I began to make my way cautiously but swiftly through the dungeons, hoping to catch up to those transfer students.

Damn, where the hell are they? I wondered, as I reached the stairs that lead up to the ground floor of the castle. I began to climb them carefully, not wanting to make too much noise. I really hope they came up here, otherwise I'll be looking for them for a while.

Of course the damn transfer students had to actually being doing shady stuff, exactly when I happened to be around, so I had no choice but to follow them, thanks to the orders I'd gotten from Hecate.

Fuck you, Hecate. I thought as I reached the top of the stairs and began creeping forwards slowly, sticking close to the wall and glancing around to make sure there was no one there.